Translation English to Dutch... what should I charge?
Thread poster: Joanne Bradley
Joanne Bradley
Joanne Bradley
Local time: 01:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2004

Hi,
I am bi-lingual in English and dutch (with a little French, Spanish and German, and learning Norwegian... but not to translation standards.
I recently moved to Norway and was offered some work translationg 6 dos files for a technical program into dutch. In total there was about 79,000 characters without spaces and I made sure the formatting stayed intact as well as editing it as I know the company business and some things needed to be localized from a Norwegian perspective to Du
... See more
Hi,
I am bi-lingual in English and dutch (with a little French, Spanish and German, and learning Norwegian... but not to translation standards.
I recently moved to Norway and was offered some work translationg 6 dos files for a technical program into dutch. In total there was about 79,000 characters without spaces and I made sure the formatting stayed intact as well as editing it as I know the company business and some things needed to be localized from a Norwegian perspective to Dutch one.(It's a dieting company).
The problem is I don't know if I got paid the right amount, and obviously thought I should try and find out before I did the next one. I received 10,000 NOK before taxes
which seemed ok for me as it is my only income here and anything helps, but could anyone give me a clue what an average amount should be for this type of work?
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2004

[Edited at 2004-10-30 08:26]

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think Euro 0.05 per word is really the bottom Oct 30, 2004

I don't know the value of the Norwegian crown, but I think you shouldn't go lower than Euro 0.05 per word of (target) text.

A word rate of Euro 0.09-0.15 is more usual.
However, I know people who try to work for Euro 0.15 (and put this rate on their (proz) site), but work also for Euro 0.05 if they can't get better-paid work.

A word has an average of about 7 characters (and a line roughly has 7 words).

I'd like to advice you to provide us the exchange
... See more
I don't know the value of the Norwegian crown, but I think you shouldn't go lower than Euro 0.05 per word of (target) text.

A word rate of Euro 0.09-0.15 is more usual.
However, I know people who try to work for Euro 0.15 (and put this rate on their (proz) site), but work also for Euro 0.05 if they can't get better-paid work.

A word has an average of about 7 characters (and a line roughly has 7 words).

I'd like to advice you to provide us the exchange rate of the Norwegian crown and ask the moderator to shift this question to the Dutch forum. I think you'll get more usefull responses that way.
Collapse

Ben Hickman
Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Dutch to English
€0.11 per word Oct 31, 2004

As of today, 10,000 NOK is equivalent to €1,232.93. Based on an average of 7 characters per word, you translated 11,286 words. That means you were paid approximately €0.11 per word. Considering the volume, it would not be unusual to be asked to do the job for €0.09 per word. However, since you were also responsible for maintaining the original formatting, the rate you were paid seems very fair both to you and the client.

Joanne Bradley
Joanne Bradley
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Nov 1, 2004

Re: 'translationg' - I forgot to mention I also read and write fluent typonese

Thank you all for your help.

I sort of fell into doing this as I had been editing in English for this company for a while and they knew I grew up in the Netherlands and could speak the language, so they approached me to ask if I could try and do this for them. I think it went ok although I would prefer to only translate from D
... See more
Re: 'translationg' - I forgot to mention I also read and write fluent typonese

Thank you all for your help.

I sort of fell into doing this as I had been editing in English for this company for a while and they knew I grew up in the Netherlands and could speak the language, so they approached me to ask if I could try and do this for them. I think it went ok although I would prefer to only translate from Dutch into English , but the boss was aware of my limitations and didn't expect perfection as it was both a technical piece of work and one that required a bit of knowledge about the company. But it's still useful to know that you are being paid correctly as you never know what may come up in the future: It's hard to find work here in Norway if you don't speak the language (even a box un/packer in a supermarket has to be able to speak Norwegian - I know - I asked). But obviously I also know nothing about the business side of translation and all the tools that are available so I am really glad I found this site, and thankful to you all for being willing to help a novice

It looks like I was paid a fair amount, even considering that the average wage is high here in Norway; as is the cost of living, and that's good to know as it gives me something to base it on.

They occasionally need translations into different languages such as Czech, Polish & Russian as they are opening new branches constantly, so I will show my boss this site and suggest he puts any potential jobs on here.

I didn't include the exchange rate as I realized this is a global site, so would have to include $'s, £'s, and more, but the exchange rate into Euro's according to yahoo is 1 Euro = 8.12 Norwegian Krone.

Dat was een heel goed idee om dit ook op de Nederlands gedeelte te plaatsen. Ik denk dat ik nu weet wat ik wou weten, maar het is een heel goed idee voor de toekomst, omdat ik zeker ben dat ik nog veel te leren heb betreffende vertalingen:) (fingers crossed I didn't have too many mistakes in that)

Thank you for all the tips, and for all you responses.

Tot gauw

[Edited at 2004-11-01 16:17]

[Edited at 2004-11-01 16:18]

[Edited at 2004-11-01 16:19]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation English to Dutch... what should I charge?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »