How to work with agencies outside the U.S.
Thread poster: Maria Diaz

Maria Diaz
United States
Local time: 10:00
English to Spanish
Nov 3, 2004

Hi, What needs to be considered when doing business with agencies outside the US?
1) Payment - taxes that apply? Currency conversion?
2) Rules/Laws that apply
3) Others?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 03:00
Hi Nov 4, 2004

Maria Diaz wrote:

Hi, What needs to be considered when doing business with agencies outside the US?
1) Payment - taxes that apply? Currency conversion?
2) Rules/Laws that apply
3) Others?

Thank you

the more you take into account the better. As for currency, it's a good idea to have a currency converter on yr website. your visitors/potential clients will appreciate this.

HTH

abh
www.translationsanh.com

[Edited at 2004-11-04 01:57]

Maria Diaz
United States
Local time: 10:00
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
More specific, please Nov 4, 2004

I have no idea where to start, could you please give me more specific advise? Like:
- Do I have to pay taxes or anything else in the country where the agency is located?
- Do I need a permit or registration, or comply with anything in order to do business with them?
- Will they pay me in USD or their currency?
- What would be the best method for accepting payment: paypal, check, other? Do I have to open a bank account in their country?

I guess each country will be different, but any tip is welcomed!

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:00
Flemish to English
+ ...
An attempt to answer your question Nov 4, 2004

[quote]Maria Diaz wrote:

I have no idea where to start, could you please give me more specific advise? Like:
- Do I have to pay taxes or anything else in the country where the agency is located?

If you export a service from the USA-->outside the US, you do not have to pay taxes in the country where the agency is located.

- Do I need a permit or registration, or comply with anything in order to do business with them?

- Will they pay me in USD or their currency?
Their currency. Why worry. If that currency is euro, you stand to gain (1 euro=about $1.30).

- What would be the best method for accepting payment: paypal, check, other? Do I have to open a bank account in their country?

- Paypal can be expensive if they enforce a premier account. That happens when somebody pays by credit-card. Moneybookers.com is cheaper.

Tip: Years ago, I attended a course of international trade? Very useful, indeed. Got a profound explanation of VAT, import-export rules, marketing, means of shipping and payment etc...

[Edited at 2004-11-08 09:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work with agencies outside the U.S.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs