Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:22
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 5, 2004

Hello, all

I did 2 small translations for an agency in China, the payment amount of which was not too high (108 USD).
Now they wrote that their bank will deduct US$ 30 as a bank charge for this amount and they suggest to wait for doing future projects and then charge altogether, which would be the best way to save bank fee from me.

But I do not know if I will ever get translations from them, it was my first job from them.

I did the translations in Wor
... See more
Hello, all

I did 2 small translations for an agency in China, the payment amount of which was not too high (108 USD).
Now they wrote that their bank will deduct US$ 30 as a bank charge for this amount and they suggest to wait for doing future projects and then charge altogether, which would be the best way to save bank fee from me.

But I do not know if I will ever get translations from them, it was my first job from them.

I did the translations in Word. They asked me then for any next translations to be done with the use of CAT tools which I am not familiar with and I do not have. So my impression is that I will never get any future translation job from them. What can I do? Does anyone have a suggestion how to proceed?

Thanks in advance for our answers.

Sybille
Collapse

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
German to Portuguese
+ ...
It happened... Nov 5, 2004

Hi Sybille,

this happened to mee too.Si I learned to always tell the client that he has to support the bank fees before accepting ajob.

Natália

Sybille wrote:

Hello, all

I did the translations in Word. They asked me then for any next translations to be done with the use of CAT tools which I am not familiar with and I do not have. So my impression is that I will never get any future translation job from them. What can I do? Does anyone have a suggestion how to proceed?

Thanks in advance for our answers.

Sybille

Andreas Yan
Andreas Yan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
Suggestion Nov 5, 2004

Hi,Sybille:
If you thought that you would never get any future translation job from them, Why not ask them to send you money via Western Union?
From what I know so far that Western Union charged the transfer fee is 15.00 USD, for the amount less than 500.00 USD.
Hope this helpful .
Good luck!
Yan Li

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
An acceptable suggestion, I think Nov 5, 2004

I include a simple, yet effective clause in agreements with regular clients:

"Outstanding balances payable to translator become due on dates specified below whichever comes first:
i) As of the end of month in which outstanding balances reaches to or exceeds (USD, EUR) 1,000
ii) The last day of June and December of the current year."

And of course, I include a provision that any fees payable are net, and free of any deductions, including banking charges.
... See more
I include a simple, yet effective clause in agreements with regular clients:

"Outstanding balances payable to translator become due on dates specified below whichever comes first:
i) As of the end of month in which outstanding balances reaches to or exceeds (USD, EUR) 1,000
ii) The last day of June and December of the current year."

And of course, I include a provision that any fees payable are net, and free of any deductions, including banking charges.

In this way, I save my clients from paying excessive charges for small sums, and at the same time secure payments at specified dates.
Collapse

Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
They should pay! Nov 5, 2004

As far as I know it's a normal procedure that all charges of the bank of the payer should be covered by the payer and all charges of the bank of the payee are to be paid by the payee. If they say that it is their bank that charges that fee, then they should definitely pay it, which shouldn't have (or rather cannot have!) any influence on the amount you receive on your account, unless it is the fee that is charged by your bank or any other third-party bank (bank correspondent).

Regar
... See more
As far as I know it's a normal procedure that all charges of the bank of the payer should be covered by the payer and all charges of the bank of the payee are to be paid by the payee. If they say that it is their bank that charges that fee, then they should definitely pay it, which shouldn't have (or rather cannot have!) any influence on the amount you receive on your account, unless it is the fee that is charged by your bank or any other third-party bank (bank correspondent).

Regards,
Stake
Collapse

Sybille Brückner
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bank charges to my account ? Nov 5, 2004

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Maybe there are still other opinions ?

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
My two cents Nov 5, 2004

I agree with the others: The agency should cover their bank charges, but you should have told them before accepting the job to make sure. They could simply refuse to pay the charges now. The same thing happened to me, so I've learned the hard way too.

If they refuse to cover the charges, you could try to wait a few months in case another job comes from them. You never know.

As for the CAT tool, I think that you as a technical translator should really get one as soon as
... See more
I agree with the others: The agency should cover their bank charges, but you should have told them before accepting the job to make sure. They could simply refuse to pay the charges now. The same thing happened to me, so I've learned the hard way too.

If they refuse to cover the charges, you could try to wait a few months in case another job comes from them. You never know.

As for the CAT tool, I think that you as a technical translator should really get one as soon as possible. It will help you a lot.
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
a couple suggestions Nov 5, 2004

First, although it may sound silly, for an amount as low as $100 I would even consider asking them to mail cash! If they threw it in a fedex envelope the charge would only be I think about $10. Just a thought. Otherwise, I think moneygram, moneybrokers, paypal (or western union as someone suggested) may be cheaper options. $30 is just too much for banks that don't need the money as much as you do.

Sybille Brückner
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your suggestions Nov 8, 2004

Thank you all for your suggestion. I think I have to discuss with them one way or other.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank charges to my account ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »