Mobile menu

Have translators ever joined their forces against a non-paying agency?
Thread poster: Marina Ferro

Marina Ferro
Local time: 05:20
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2004

Hi all,
usual problem here: non-paying agency. Since the concerned agency has already had negative comments on the blueboard, so adding a new negative comment would be useless, what do you do? I'm sure other people are in my same situation with this agency, shall we join our forces?
I hope this is not against the forum rules, just trying to get my much-deserved money and nobody/nothing seems to protect/help us translators in such cases.

Regards,

Marina

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depending on the specifics of the case, yes Nov 5, 2004

Hi Marina,
usual problem here: non-paying agency. Since the concerned agency has already had negative comments on the blueboard, so adding a new negative comment would be useless,

Not necessarily. Are you aware of the ProZ.com Termination Policy? This is enforced by ProZ.com and a team of Jobs moderators, so I would ask you to submit an entry (provided, of course, that you submitted the work on time, and in accordance with job specifications).

what do you do? I'm sure other people are in my same situation with this agency, shall we join our forces?
I hope this is not against the forum rules, just trying to get my much-deserved money and nobody/nothing seems to protect/help us translators in such cases.

You may want to reconsider that blanket statement, given the volunteer work contributed by moderators.

Of course, we have no way of enforcing payment (simply because neither ProZ.com nor its moderators are a party to the business relationship between yourself and the outsourcer), but we have seen some cases where an investigation actually made a difference. In specific cases, ProZ.com played an active role in establishing communication amongst those affected.

But there is something you will need to do for that - and this is exactly why members posting a negative BlueBoard entry are invited to report non-payment to a Jobs moderator.
Why don't you contact me through my profile, indicating the specifics of the case?

Thanks, Ralf

Marina Ferro
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I wasn't clear Nov 5, 2004

Dear Ralph,

I didn't mean that this forum won't help us translators get our money,since I'm perfectly aware this is not its job. I meant that, in Italy for example, there aren't bodies that protect translators against non-paying clients and that we have to run after them on our own (debt collection agencies can run after them for us, but we still need to employ them first, see what I mean?)

The concerned agency has already been banned from posting jobs on this site, but I added a comment nonetheless.

I'm getting really frustrated, since I hate running after people to get the money I rightly earned. I delivered the work on time in all cases and that's not why they don't pay me, they just don't seem to have the money and don't even acknowledge my emails.

Sorry for pouring my frustration out on you,

Marina

davidgreen
German to English
I have contacted other translators Nov 5, 2004

You might want to contact the other translators who posted negative comments (and even the ones who posted positive comments - if just to find out if they used any special techniques to get paid by this agency). Depending on what country your agency is in, you have various techniques and legal resources you might not be aware of. For example in some countries, they have every intention of paying but "hay que insistir" to get your money in a reasonable time frame.
good luck!

Marina Ferro
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very good Nov 5, 2004

suggestion, thanks David

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
I understood you perfectly, and I empathize! Nov 5, 2004

Hi Marina,

I think Ralf misunderstood you. What you wrote was clear to me and I did not understand it as a blanket statement against the moderators or anyone else.

It is frustrating to chase after your money. The same thing happened to me last year, and after reporting the non-payer to the blue board, another translator and I submitted proof of non-payment to Proz.com moderators (Yolanda Broad, in this case--thanks Yolanda!!) who took the necessary steps to ban the outsourcer from future postings.

Just be sure to follow up on it with Proz staff and I am sure you will get results, if not your money! (I eventually did get paid, by the way).

Good luck, Marina!

Sara

Marina Ferro
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Sara! Nov 7, 2004

Hi Sara,

Thanks a lot for your support. I'm sorry you had to go through the same thing, I KNOW how annoying that is. I'll follow your precious advice and I'll keep you updated

Have a nice week,

Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have translators ever joined their forces against a non-paying agency?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs