Nov 5, 2004

http://language.home.sprynet.com/trandex/fist.htm

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Brix
Local time: 13:32
Swedish to English
+ ...
Go FIST Nov 7, 2004

Did you happen to notice the copyright date was 1990? Kinda sad, means we're getting nowhere fast since we can't actually claim to have made any major advances in terms of work and/or pay conditions. In actuality, we're probably regressing by comparison. What to do, what to do?

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Sad Nov 7, 2004

Mary Brix wrote:

Did you happen to notice the copyright date was 1990? Kinda sad, means we're getting nowhere fast since we can't actually claim to have made any major advances in terms of work and/or pay conditions. In actuality, we're probably regressing by comparison. What to do, what to do?

Mary, in fact the whole thing is kinda sad, considering it was written at a time when translation demand had never been higher and prices (certainly here in Europe) were moving up quite fast (times have changed a bit since then, though, but they'll rebound). Add to that the sheer arrogance of the tone of this article, and then you don't need to wonder why translators aren't taken seriously. I mean: separate passports for translators? That's beyond fantasy, that's just a wet dream...

Robin

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 08:32
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
and post-9/11, simply a bureaucratic nightmare Nov 7, 2004

RobinB wrote:
separate passports for translators? That's beyond fantasy, that's just a wet dream...

Robin

My first reaction to that was: yes!!! but then I awoke from the dream and faced reality: can you imagine the background checks, not to mention sporadic update checks, all those of us wanting to take advantage of this would have to undergo??? Our family, friends, acquaintances may even be subject to racial profiling and spied upon as well;-) I think even the CIA would tire of these games.

OK, back to sleep, perchance to dream

Nancy

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Sad, sad Nov 7, 2004

Mary Brix wrote:

In actuality, we're probably regressing by comparison. What to do, what to do?

Mary, that could be from a unions' speech for British coal miners or stokers on electrical or Diesel engines. Times are changing, that's it. Back to the typewriter (the mechanical one, of course)? Travelling to foreign countries with the Translator's Passport to deliver the most recent translation?
Do you know of any country in the Western hemisphere where translators are not able to travel?

What a manifesto!

Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
Doomed to repetition Nov 7, 2004

OK, I'm certainly no fan of translator passports, and I'll
admit to a certain penchant for simply not absorbing that which I
find abhorent. I was commenting on the entire situation since,
as Robin has already noted, the article was written during a
high-price era (at least in Europe). Turn back the clock and revert to typewriters? Been there, done that, no thanks.

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
The upside? Nov 8, 2004

Hans G. Liepert wrote:

....Travelling to foreign countries with the Translator's Passport to deliver the most recent translation?
Do you know of any country in the Western hemisphere where translators are not able to travel?

What a manifesto!

Well, they're not always too happy about letting you into the US, but that's an entirely different issue.

But maybe there's an upside to all this. Assuming that all these great benefits will be available only to good translators, does this mean that the bad translators (and as we know, there are *loads* of them) get shipped off to somewhere like Kamchatka or Gitmo, never to return?

Robin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article about Translator Strike

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs