How To Charge for Professional English Editing Services?
Thread poster: Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:15
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 15, 2004

Dear All,

This is right now a theoretical question but something which must have practical implications in the near future. SITUATION: I work as an English Professor and freelance as a translator. While translating, I have also had jobs where I proofcheck/edit translations and they are charged around 33% of the translation rate.

Now, the question. Suppose, I wish to diversify my services and plan a foray into professional English proofreading/copy editing/rewriting, rep
... See more
Dear All,

This is right now a theoretical question but something which must have practical implications in the near future. SITUATION: I work as an English Professor and freelance as a translator. While translating, I have also had jobs where I proofcheck/edit translations and they are charged around 33% of the translation rate.

Now, the question. Suppose, I wish to diversify my services and plan a foray into professional English proofreading/copy editing/rewriting, rephrasing/writing from scratch services. If I do so, by what yardstick should I charge potential clients? Suppose, we take a hypothetical rate of US$0.08/per source word as the benchmark translation rate for 'general' texts, then as a translator, one is fully aware of the number of words etc one can do in a full workday. Now, would any diversification mean charging at the same rate by calculating a per hour rate or should it be governed by different logistics?

Roomy Naqvy
Collapse

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:45
English to Dutch
+ ...
Calculate hourly rate based on translation rate per hour Nov 16, 2004

You can calculate the hourly rate based on your translation output per hour. In that way you can calculate your minimum and target rates per hour. That will provide you with a good starting point.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How To Charge for Professional English Editing Services?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »