Joseph Samir
Joseph Samir
Egypt
Local time: 02:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 4, 2004

Hi guys ,
I have received an offer to write the content of a web site in English .. The problem is that I don't have any idea about charging such projects , so any help will be much appreciated ..

Thanks in advance

Sincerely ,
Joseph Samir

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:05
English to German
+ ...
Ask for the budget Dec 5, 2004

You can probably deliver more content than their budget will allow, so I would start with their budget and estimate what I could do for it, with my price quotation according to the estimated time effort.

And don't forget to agree upon a detailed functional specification, otherwise you risk to continue building that site infinitely..

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:05
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Translating web content Dec 5, 2004

I agree with Harry about the price quotation (i.e., it should be formulated according to their budget). If they won't or can't disclose their budget, you will have to calculate yourself; laying down several alternatives in your offer is the best way in this case.

As Harry said, you run the risk of having to work for an indefinite time. The best way for both parties is to agree on exactly what content under which sections will be translated until when.

If it is a static
... See more
I agree with Harry about the price quotation (i.e., it should be formulated according to their budget). If they won't or can't disclose their budget, you will have to calculate yourself; laying down several alternatives in your offer is the best way in this case.

As Harry said, you run the risk of having to work for an indefinite time. The best way for both parties is to agree on exactly what content under which sections will be translated until when.

If it is a static web site (i.e. a web site with unchanging content), defining everthing will be easier. But translation of a web site with dynamic or semi-dynamic content is obviously an ongoing job and needs clear task definitions and separate deadlines for different sections.

[Edited at 2004-12-05 18:29]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for web content

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »