Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How to deal with non-paying outsourcers?
Thread poster: Tiffany Le
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:19
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bad guy Oct 2, 2014

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:

..... I just sense that he's not a bad guy. That's all!
Anyway, the payment hasn't been made.

In my opinion you need to watch out for this guy. Unless you change your attitude to him, he may never pay you. In fact, seeing that he's got you over a barrel, he may even get more unpaid translation work out of you.

Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Canada
Local time: 15:19
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Need to be more careful Oct 2, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

In my opinion you need to watch out for this guy. Unless you change your attitude to him, he may never pay you. In fact, seeing that he's got you over a barrel, he may even get more unpaid translation work out of you.

Will learn from this Tom. I haven't pushed this further coz I want to handle things in peace. I will ask for up-front payment and deliver the translation in batches. Anyway, he's the FIRST private client I've dealt with so I need to learn more from your experience.
I will talk him with more today and see how far it may take me to.

Domenico Trimboli
Domenico Trimboli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:19
English to Italian
It's just business Oct 2, 2014

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:

I have no clue at all, I just sense that he's not a bad guy. That's all!
Anyway, the payment hasn't been made.

I fired a couple of late-paying good guys in the past. Nothing personal, it's just business. From this perspective, he is just really late with payment, and his personal circumstances shouldn't be an excuse.

Just my 2 cents

Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Canada
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem transfering money Oct 2, 2014

Thanks for your advice.
He told me that he had visa problem to come back to US to work and is now in Mexico. I understand the situation because in my country Vietnam, it's nearly impossible to transfer money to another country. I work in a local bank and I know that it will be very difficult, nearly impossible to send money out of the country.
I will insist on getting payment via PayPal and see if he can manage this.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Too much understanding Oct 2, 2014

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:

Thanks for your advice.
He told me that he had visa problem to come back to US to work and is now in Mexico. I understand the situation because in my country Vietnam, it's nearly impossible to transfer money to another country. I work in a local bank and I know that it will be very difficult, nearly impossible to send money out of the country.
I will insist on getting payment via PayPal and see if he can manage this.

His life story and problems should not be any concern of yours. You should be taking a much colder attitude. As a previous poster said "business is business". Stop being nice to this guy!

Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Canada
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Oct 2, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

His life story and problems should not be any concern of yours. You should be taking a much colder attitude. As a previous poster said "business is business". Stop being nice to this guy!

Sad but true. I really need to change the mindset now. I'm not in this business to make friends. Being too nice sometimes just gives me loss and hurt

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You can be nice Oct 2, 2014

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Sad but true. I really need to change the mindset now. I'm not in this business to make friends. Being too nice sometimes just gives me loss and hurt

You can be nice - but not when someone who should have paid you *pretends to be nice* because he can see that you are ! Be nice - but don't be soft !

[Edited at 2014-10-02 08:10 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:19
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The whole case is weird. Oct 2, 2014

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:
He explained to me the reason for not yet paying me was that he got visa problem and was unable to come back to the US. In the meantime, he's now in Mexico, pushing the lawyer to speed things up. When he's outside the US, he cannot make transfer while his PayPal account does not have much money.

So he went abroad and couldn't come back to the US? Staying in Mexico and waiting to enter US? Sounds like someone waiting for the snake-head to make some arrangements. He didn't even foresee he could have visa problems before he had left? That's insane.

[Edited at 2014-10-02 08:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-02 08:29 GMT]

Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Canada
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visa problem Oct 2, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

So he went abroad and couldn't come back to the US? Staying in Mexico and waiting to enter US? Sounds like someone waiting for the snake-head to make some arrangements.

He has a visa especially issued for Mexican (and maybe Canadian) to work in the US, which usually lasts 3 years. He applied for extension and it rediculously took longer than expected. He had to return to Mexico and tried to sort things out. That's what he told me.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What to do Oct 2, 2014

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

So he went abroad and couldn't come back to the US? Staying in Mexico and waiting to enter US? Sounds like someone waiting for the snake-head to make some arrangements.

He has a visa especially issued for Mexican (and maybe Canadian) to work in the US, which usually lasts 3 years. He applied for extension and it rediculously took longer than expected. He had to return to Mexico and tried to sort things out. That's what he told me.

NOne of this matters - and anyway it might not be true.

All you need to know is:

- where is he? Do you actually believe he's in Mexico ?

[Edited at 2014-10-02 08:33 GMT]

Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Canada
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What if he's dishonest? Oct 2, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

NOne of this matters - and anyway it might not be true.

All you need to know is:

- where is he in Mexico (postal address) ?

When you've got that you can chase him for payment.

Leave all other considerations out of your mind.

[Edited at 2014-10-02 08:32 GMT]

If he's bad and intentionally cheats me, he can give me an address that leads me to nowhere

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My guess Oct 2, 2014

My guess would be that he is in the same place where he was before. I bet he isn't in Mexico and that whole story he gave you is not true.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:19
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
That kind of visa requires a sponsor Oct 2, 2014

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

This means all his business activities must be done on behalf of the company that has hired him.

So if what he said was true, he should be able to request his employer to make the payment.

He has to have an employer, and he cannot work outside the organization that employs him.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
He's lying Oct 2, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

This means all his business activities must be done on behalf of the company that has hired him.

So if what he said was true, he should be able to request his employer to make the payment.

He has to have an employer, and he cannot work outside the organization that employs him.

I don't believe his story is true. He's probably in Dallas.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 22:19
Japanese to English
Other options Oct 2, 2014

All right, let's assume he's telling the truth for a moment. Let's say he's in Mexico and can't send money by Paypal (believable), xoom (never heard of it) or bank transfer (a likely story). Why don't you suggest other options to him? What about Western Union? Or Moneygram? Ask him to try payment by those methods and get back to you. An honest client will make every effort to pay you.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with non-paying outsourcers?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »