Off topic: Job with low rates
Thread poster: xxxpucoug
xxxpucoug  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
English to Hindi
+ ...
Dec 22, 2004

Hello,

I know we have discussed many times about minimum rates for translations. I bet you guys have never seen anything like this before:

http://www.proz.com/job/68372

US$ 0.006/word! And its a rush job!

Cracked me up

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-23 01:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 20:46
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moving this post... Dec 22, 2004

...to the Business Issues forum.

I can understand how you viewed it as a Lighter Side of Translation issue, though!

Nancy

xxxdf49f
France
Local time: 02:46
ain't seen nothing yet... cont'd Dec 23, 2004

pucoug wrote:
Hello,
I know we have discussed many times about minimum rates for translations. I bet you guys have never seen anything like this before:
http://www.proz.com/job/68372
US$ 0.006/word! And its a rush job!
Cracked me up

thanks for translating the rates, a crack up it is!!
but... hindi, that's for rock-bottom low-low-cost countries...)) - Now, what about high-high-cost countries like France: take a look at this:
http://www.proz.com/job/68173
That was posted Sunday, job to be finished by the same sunday midnight pour "appareil de mesure de pression occulaire" MAIS "le domaine n'est pas technique" (!!!) - OK not 0,006$ but 0,06 euro (note: we're lucky in France if we keep 40% of that after social contributions, professional and income tax). And worst of all, the offer seems to come not from an agency but from a free-lancer in France.
... the lighter side of translation! (??))
best regards
df

11thmuse  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
English to Dutch
+ ...
free market Dec 23, 2004

The biggest problem is that they probably will find someone desperate enough! Many translators and only a few job offers. It is us who will have to set the standard!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job with low rates

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs