Mobile menu

What to charge for short in-house job
Thread poster: dnitzpon
Local time: 19:03
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jan 5, 2005

Hi everybody!
I got offerd to translate an automotive database from English to German, which the client says will take one week and has to be done inhouse in another town in Germany. What do you think would be a reasonable price for such a job?

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlesp  Identity Verified
+ ...
also you got to enjoy it Jan 5, 2005

it would depend in part where the other town was - if it was in Berlin, then you could have a fun vacation too at the same time, and at the company's expence. If in a small villlage like Zoltau, they should pay you double.

I would suggest charging 1000 euros, for the week. And that they would cover all of your expenses, travel, hotel accomidations, and a food allowance.

That is my suggestion.

John Walsh  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
also depends on total hours Jan 5, 2005

How many total hours? How much is your usual hourly rate? How many words can you translate per hour and how much do you usually charge per word? Decide how much to charge for the work then calculate expenses and add something on top for making you stay out of town for a week.
If you can translate about 500 words per hour and they keep you out of town for a week then they should pay you for at least 40 hours of translation work (about 20,000 words) so I would say 1,000 is low.

[Edited at 2005-01-05 19:50]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to charge for short in-house job

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs