Pay check problem
Thread poster: HelioJP
HelioJP
HelioJP
Local time: 13:40
Japanese to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 7, 2005

I am having a payment problem with one big US translation company. A job was done in August and a cheque was issued in a month or so. I live in Japan and it is really costly to cash it here, about 50 US dollars per 200 $. However, the company coordinator had told me that they could issue the cheque on my name with c/o, care of mark for my brother, who would be able to cash it for me in the US. My brother, who lives in the US kindly agreed to receive it on my behalf (I was intending to give that ... See more
I am having a payment problem with one big US translation company. A job was done in August and a cheque was issued in a month or so. I live in Japan and it is really costly to cash it here, about 50 US dollars per 200 $. However, the company coordinator had told me that they could issue the cheque on my name with c/o, care of mark for my brother, who would be able to cash it for me in the US. My brother, who lives in the US kindly agreed to receive it on my behalf (I was intending to give that money to him in order to buy Christmas(!!!) presents to my nephews). The company actually once sent the cheque to him, but only my name was on it, no any c/o as was agreed. He couldn't check it, of course. I called them, they told me to send it back, and they would reissue as reguested. My brother did so, and then in two month there is a mail saying thet they could only wire my money to my dollar account in Japan. I politely asked them in my mail why that happened, and so far I got no answer for two and a half months. Sending mais to them again and again, I spent so much time (and also money on the phone calls to them). Lots of employees quit their jobs and the new ones don't know a single thing about anything.
What should I do in this situation?
Someone has an idea?
Thank you for taking your time to read my post.
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Terms.... Jan 7, 2005

What were the terms for payment when you accepted the job????
Surely you would have known about bank charges beforehand.
To be honest my feeling is that you are responsible for this and should get the money transferred to your account in Japan and from then ownwards you will know whether it is worth it for you or not to accept this kind of jobs.
Sorry if I am tough but I don't accept some jobs because of these headaches....
Good luck anyway.

HelioJP
HelioJP
Japanese to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are absolutely right, Jesus! Jan 7, 2005

Hi Jesus, thank you for your input.
We all learn our lessons.
The problem here is that it was the translation company itself that proposed this method to avoid paying the wire transfer fee.
So I was fool enough to trust them.
There is an old Japanese saying that goes like this:
If you know where you will fall, you will surely put your futon on it.

However, I wonder if other translators could share their experiences on how they manage to get their paymen
... See more
Hi Jesus, thank you for your input.
We all learn our lessons.
The problem here is that it was the translation company itself that proposed this method to avoid paying the wire transfer fee.
So I was fool enough to trust them.
There is an old Japanese saying that goes like this:
If you know where you will fall, you will surely put your futon on it.

However, I wonder if other translators could share their experiences on how they manage to get their payments without having to pay the exorbitant fee for wire transfer.

Good luck with your translations.
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Helio, Jan 7, 2005

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I live in Suriname, South America at the moment and the wire transfer fees to here are high too.

I have a bank account in the US - that is my home base and one in The Netherlands - Europe. Clients in the US pay me there, the ones in Europe into my European account. The rest of them in other places (such as India, Israel, Canada, Australia, etc.) pay me using PayPal.

I have never had problems with PayPal, but check if they have fu
... See more
I am sorry to hear about your problem. I live in Suriname, South America at the moment and the wire transfer fees to here are high too.

I have a bank account in the US - that is my home base and one in The Netherlands - Europe. Clients in the US pay me there, the ones in Europe into my European account. The rest of them in other places (such as India, Israel, Canada, Australia, etc.) pay me using PayPal.

I have never had problems with PayPal, but check if they have full service in Japan. If not, there may be snafus.

Good luck.
Lucinda
Collapse

HelioJP
HelioJP
Japanese to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Lucinda Jan 10, 2005

Hi Lucinda, Thanks for your reply.
I will certainly check these options.
It is always nice to hear from supportive fellow translators!
Have a nice day!
Helio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pay check problem

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »