Rates for proofreading
Thread poster: Alan Campbell

Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:41
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2005

I've had a potential client ask what my rate would be for proofreading English text (not translated) and I have no clue as to what to advise. My other client pays me by the hour for proofreading, and per page for translation (based on a page equalling 1500 characters without spaces).

Can anyone advise me on the average rate for proofreading non-translated English text?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
the minimum Jan 11, 2005

Alan Campbell wrote:

Can anyone advise me on the average rate for proofreading non-translated English text?

Thanks

$25/hour is the lowest proofreading rate I encounter these days for nontrans EN text (in the US).

Aziz

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
pure proofreading is more difficult that translation editing Jan 11, 2005

Alan Campbell wrote:

I've had a potential client ask what my rate would be for proofreading English text (not translated) and I have no clue as to what to advise. My other client pays me by the hour for proofreading, and per page for translation (based on a page equalling 1500 characters without spaces).

Thanks

Take your base editing rate for translations and add a percentage. I add about 20%. Reason being that pure proofing reading requires a hell of a lot of concentration, becuase you're checking for things like word/line breaks, formatting inconsistencies, etc, not information transfer or general style.

By the way, I call it editing for translations, and proofreading for checking EN texts independently of the source text (if there is any).

Sarah Ferrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:41
Italian to English
editing rates tool Jan 12, 2005

Alan Campbell wrote:

Thanks

Hi,
I just signed up for a new newsletter which gives away a tool that helps you calculate proofreading and editing rates, based on your productivity and various other factors. Links to the rates tools are in the first email.

Go to: http://www.translatortoolkit.com/signup.htm

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for proofreading

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums