Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 12, 2005

I just received the following notification from PayPal and would like to know if anyone can tell me it's not 'phishing' again:

"Security Center Advisory!

It has come to our attention that your PayPal billing updates are out of order. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your billing records you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, failure to update your records will result in account t
... See more
I just received the following notification from PayPal and would like to know if anyone can tell me it's not 'phishing' again:

It has come to our attention that your PayPal billing updates are out of order. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your billing records you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, failure to update your records will result in account termination Please update your records before October 20th 2004

If you are the rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then complete all steps from the following page as we try to verify your identity.

Click here to verify your account

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account."

What strikes me is the date, October 20th 2004!

Thanks for any news...
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't think so... Jan 12, 2005

Hi Ceci,
I don't think this is genuine - have a look at this recent thread I posted in the Safe Computing forum.

Best, Ralf

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Jan 12, 2005

I remember the thread, but didn't think to look in the technical forums.

I'll forward it to [email protected]

Ceci

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Check PayPal website Jan 12, 2005

There are several threads in the Forums about fake PayPal messages.

Check out the PayPal website for more information on recognizing spoof e-mails and how to handle them. Forward the e-ma
... See more
There are several threads in the Forums about fake PayPal messages.

Check out the PayPal website for more information on recognizing spoof e-mails and how to handle them. Forward the e-mail to [email protected].

See https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext&leafid=2104&answer_id=4940129

[Edited at 2005-01-12 11:34]
Collapse

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, vixen Jan 12, 2005

I also passed them the e-mail headers just in case.

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
I got that this morning, too Jan 12, 2005

Definitely a phishing scam. Paypal would not provide a link to click to take you to their site. They would just request that you log in to the service and type in their root URL.

The email I got was doubly inept, as it said my Paypal account would be terminated in October 2004 if I didn't "update my records". Good grief - if they're going to go to the trouble of trying to scam people, you'd have thought they might proofread their spiel.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I get them regularly Jan 12, 2005

I get these regularly, about twice a month at least. And another couple "from" eBay. Anything telling you to verify your info through a particular link is spoof. I do not even confirm any information on phone unless I have been the caller.

Cheers,
Burrell

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I also get these "Paypal" e-mails regularly Jan 12, 2005

... and I don't even have a Paypal account! Talk about phishing...

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good one! Jan 12, 2005

Cindy Chadd wrote:

... and I don't even have a Paypal account! Talk about phishing...

At any rate, FYI, I'm pasting the official word from [email protected]

Dear (You),

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

Thank you for bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We can confirm that the email you received was not sent to you by PayPal. The website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or used by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully. Please do not enter any personal or financial information into this website.

If you have surrendered any personal or financial information to this fraudulent website, you should immediately log into your PayPal Account and change your password and secret question and answer information. Any compromised financial information should be reported to the appropriate parties.

If you notice any unauthorized activity associated with your PayPal transaction history, please immediately report this to PayPal by following the instructions below:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com/ by entering your email address and password into the Member Log In box

2. Click on the Security Center at the bottom of the page

3. Click on 'Report a Problem'

4. Select the Topic: Report Fraud

5. Select the Subtopic: Unauthorized use of my PayPal Account

6. Enter your question in the 'Summarize your question in one sentence' box

7. Click Continue

8. Follow the instructions to access the appropriate form

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

This email is sent to you by the contracting entity to your User Agreement, either PayPal Inc or PayPal (Europe) Limited. PayPal(Europe) Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the UK as an electronic money institution.

PayPal and its representatives will NEVER ask you to reveal your
password. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this policy. If anyone claiming to work for PayPal asks for your password under any circumstances, by email or by phone, please refuse and immediately contact us via webform at
https://www.paypal.com/wf/f=sa_pass.

Ben Hickman
Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Dutch to English
Did the message include your name? Jan 13, 2005

I've received several of these messages. Based on the information provided on the PayPal site, the first thing I look for is whether the message is personally addressed to me. If not, you can delete it without looking any further.

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Jan 13, 2005

Ben Hickman wrote:

I've received several of these messages. Based on the information provided on the PayPal site, the first thing I look for is whether the message is personally addressed to me. If not, you can delete it without looking any further.

but the message from [email protected] did

spanishtoday
spanishtoday
English to Spanish
Paypal notification Jan 17, 2005

This is new scam going around, I was notified months ago by a source from USA.
Hope it helps!

Parrot wrote:

It has come to our attention that your PayPal billing updates are out of order. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your billing records you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, failure to update your records will result in account termination Please update your records before October 20th 2004

If you are the rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then complete all steps from the following page as we try to verify your identity.

Click here to verify your account

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account."

What strikes me is the date, October 20th 2004!

Thanks for any news...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal notification - authentic?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »