The W-8 form for foreign translators with American agency
Thread poster: Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 21:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 13, 2005

Hi, everybody!

I´ve been contacted by an American agency to start working with them and they´ve asked me to sign the W-8 form before doing any translation. Is that the usual thing to do? Do I have to pay attention to any special section? I´ve read it and haven´t found anything unusual, but just in case ... Help!

Thanks a lot,
Pat

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:39
English to German
+ ...
Have a look at past threads Jan 13, 2005

Hi Pat,
Have you tried entering "W-8" into the forum search on the left?

I recall quite a few interesting discussions on this issue.

Best regards,
Ralf

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The date Jan 13, 2005

Patluc wrote:

Do I have to pay attention to any special section?

And the mention "ECI".

Form W-8 has undergone several revisions, the last edition I have is December 2000. (There might be later versions).

There is a W-8 ECI for traders doing business with the US and a W-8 BEN for beneficial owners of property, securities, bank accounts, etc., to exempt them from witholding on dividends. We fall under ECI.

By default (i.e., without W-8), income from the US is taxable, unless it doesn't add up to 600 USD p.a., AFAIK (might have changed).

Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 21:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
W-8 Jan 13, 2005

Patluc wrote:

Hi, everybody!

I´ve been contacted by an American agency to start working with them and they´ve asked me to sign the W-8 form before doing any translation. Is that the usual thing to do? Do I have to pay attention to any special section? I´ve read it and haven´t found anything unusual, but just in case ... Help!

Thanks a lot,
Pat

Thank you very much, Ralf and Parrot (it´s nioce to hear from you again, we met at the powwow in Buenos Aires in July)

I´m going to check the thread, as Ralf suggested, and as regards ECI, it´s not mentioned anywhere. There is a paragraph I´d like to know exactly what it means. It says: " Caution: Form W-8 does not exempt the payee from the 30% (or lower treaty) nonresident witholding rates."

If this is a Certificate of foreign status and the purpose stated there is "... a statement to tell the payer ... that you are a nonresident alien individual, ... or exempt foreign person not subject to certain U.S information return reporting or backup witholding rules", how does this match with the "Caution"?
Maybe I should ask them directly (but really I´d like to find out on my own first)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The W-8 form for foreign translators with American agency

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs