Thread poster: Shahab Arif
Shahab Arif
Shahab Arif  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
Pashto (Pushto) to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2005

Can anyone help me with this.
I have recieved 2 tapes for Trancription.The quality of the tapes is really bad.It took me 3 hours for typing only 7 minutes of tape running time.
What should I charge?? hourly or a fixed amount.
Thank you in advance.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not unusual Jan 15, 2005

It is not unusual to run into tapes that take that long. Thus, there is ony one general rule that is valid in charging for them.

Charge by the hour.

syarifah syed nor azlan
syarifah syed nor azlan
English to Malay
+ ...
ditto Jan 15, 2005

yet some clients think i am trying to con them or am just plain difficult when i try to charge hourly

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
What did you agree????? Jan 15, 2005

It generally happens but you need to stick to whatever you agreed. Everytime I have done transcription work I have been paid by recorded minute and not by what it took me to transcribe it and that is the reason I am not very keen on doing transcription work. If it is followed by the translation of the transcribed text I may think about it...
Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help in Rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »