Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 21:24
English to French
Apr 20, 2015

Hi,

I was astounded when I read the rate for this translation job on elance.com.

Why not work for free then?

Really, it is ridiculous.

And a French translator already accepted the offer! That's even more shameful...

--------------------------------

ikram_ulhaq1 | Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

Hi,
We have multiple English to French translation projects and hence, would like to hire 2-3 french translato
... See more
Hi,

I was astounded when I read the rate for this translation job on elance.com.

Why not work for free then?

Really, it is ridiculous.

And a French translator already accepted the offer! That's even more shameful...

--------------------------------

ikram_ulhaq1 | Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

Hi,
We have multiple English to French translation projects and hence, would like to hire 2-3 french translators so that we can assign projects to each one of them. So even if you see that the project is awarded even then place your bids as we might contact you for some other french translation project.

- You must be a professional French translator and must be available most of the time for now and for long term to work with us.

-We pay $0.01/word - this rate is fixed. So please place your bid for translating 2000 words i.e $20.

- In your proposal mention what makes you distinctive from other french translators (your skills, expertise etc)

We HIRE quickly.

--------------
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A joke Apr 20, 2015

"- In your proposal mention what makes you distinctive from other french translators (your skills, expertise etc)"

The rate, of course.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:24
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Working for nothing - on the Proz jobs board today Apr 20, 2015

For several days now there's been an anouncement on the Proz jobs board "offering" the translation of 10,000+ words pro bono - i.e. unpaid - in no particular hurry, with the suggestion that the successful "bidder" may be added to the agency's list of paid translators in the future if the translation is deemed satisfactory. The longest unpaid translation test I've ever heard of ... and apparently 22 translators have already "quoted" for it!
In other words, translators HERE are ALREADY being
... See more
For several days now there's been an anouncement on the Proz jobs board "offering" the translation of 10,000+ words pro bono - i.e. unpaid - in no particular hurry, with the suggestion that the successful "bidder" may be added to the agency's list of paid translators in the future if the translation is deemed satisfactory. The longest unpaid translation test I've ever heard of ... and apparently 22 translators have already "quoted" for it!
In other words, translators HERE are ALREADY being asked to work for nothing.
Do members approve of this exciting new opportunity? Isn't Proz ashamed of giving space to such derisory "offers"?
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Very common! Apr 20, 2015

This kind of posting is very common on sites like that and it doesn't get very much better - best to be avoided - the site!

[Edited at 2015-04-20 11:27 GMT]

Francis Murphy (X)
Francis Murphy (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:24
French to English
Internet opportunists Apr 20, 2015

There will always be people whose sole skill is exploiting the internet. They are not translators or translation bureaus, merely scam artists. The only way to avoid them on a website like this is to restrict it to dues-paying, qualified members and then police the membership. Proz.com, by its approach, seems to be creating an opportunity for another, more professional website to provide such a service.

It has been done with other professions and trades, with many business-to-busin
... See more
There will always be people whose sole skill is exploiting the internet. They are not translators or translation bureaus, merely scam artists. The only way to avoid them on a website like this is to restrict it to dues-paying, qualified members and then police the membership. Proz.com, by its approach, seems to be creating an opportunity for another, more professional website to provide such a service.

It has been done with other professions and trades, with many business-to-business websites, and done well.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Maybe he/she offered 10+ cent... Apr 20, 2015

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

--------------

- You must be a professional French translator and must be available most of the time for now and for long term to work with us.

-We pay $0.01/word - this rate is fixed. So please place your bid for translating 2000 words i.e $20.

A translator that promises "to be available most of the time from now on and for long time work" for such a rate must be insane

Francis Murphy (X)
Francis Murphy (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
Anybody can go on the internet and call himself an outsourcer Apr 20, 2015

As someone said, there are no barriers. Websites that allow ridiculous offers to be posted must have some reason for doing so. Either the website is not afraid of losing paying members, or receives money somehow based on the number of users of the site - for example, for their advertising fees.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It's changed! Apr 20, 2015

I see that the "pro bono" job in question has been changed and translators are now being asked to quote a price for the 10,000+ words. The "pro bono" bit has been removed.
Good.
Perhaps I shamed them up. Perhaps it's worth being a pain in the neck sometimes ...

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some of these 'professionals' are scammers Apr 20, 2015

Sadly, but still true, I found out some months ago that in most cases scammers are taking these low price job offers using other good professionals names/profile.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Says it all Apr 20, 2015

What if I'm asking for $ 20.01 /2000 words? Am I greedy then?

- In your proposal mention what makes you distinctive from other french translators (your skills, expertise etc)

A highly qualified and experienced translator seeking to pay $ 30. if only s/he could get the opportunity to work with your highly reputable agency.

We HIRE quickly. --------------

We hire (yelling?) quickly because our "real" translators leave us within a heartbeat, maybe 2 at best.

Dear colleagues,

please pardon my sarcasm here, but how else can a translator react to such a "generous" proposal?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Another option Apr 20, 2015

Francis Murphy wrote:

As someone said, there are no barriers. Websites that allow ridiculous offers to be posted must have some reason for doing so. Either the website is not afraid of losing paying members, or receives money somehow based on the number of users of the site - for example, for their advertising fees.

Maybe the outsourcers pay them for being allowed to post their jobs there.

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
I wish somebody would take up this opportunity. Apr 20, 2015

Francis Murphy wrote:

The only way to avoid them on a website like this is to restrict it to dues-paying, qualified members and then police the membership. Proz.com, by its approach, seems to be creating an opportunity for another, more professional website to provide such a service.

It has been done with other professions and trades, with many business-to-business websites, and done well.

I wish somebody would take up this opportunity.

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
On the other hand Apr 20, 2015

I recently saw a job offer from a translation agency in India offering $0.06-$0.08 a word. So there is (might be?) some progress, Indian agencies usually pay much less than that. On the third hand: one swallow does not a summer make, as they say in the Old Country (Holland).

Eric Zink
Eric Zink  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
German to English
Coming to ProZ? Apr 20, 2015

I have seen two comparable postings (as far as rages go) in my language pair on ProZ ... within the last week.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another ridiculous translation offer

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »