Thread poster: Helene Diu

Helene Diu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:49
Member (2004)
English to French
Jan 21, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I've been asked for a translation quote based on Trados analysis of a Quark Xpress export file. The file if full of placeables.

Trados analysis gives 58 segments, 691 words, and 138 placeables (mostly formatting tags from Quark).

My question is : should I charge for placeables? If so, what would be an appropriate rate?

In my previous experience with Quark export files (.qsc), dealing with placeables (tags, mostly), took time. Of course they do not require translating, but inserting them in the right place takes time.

So, thanks for your help in this matter.

[Note: as this could apply to several CAT tool, I chose to post it in the 'money matters' forum instead of the Trados one].

Direct link Reply with quote

KZorn  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Placeables are usually not paid Jan 21, 2005

Dear Helene,

In our experience placeables have never been paid as yet. The reason for this is that this is programming code which does not have to be translated, only copied. You can, of course, try to get some sort of remuneration for it, but I doubt that you will achieve to get one.

Best regards,

Karin

Helene Diu  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thought so... Jan 21, 2005

Hi Karin,

Thanks for your reply. One of my colleagues who deals with this kind of files told me the same thing. My question was a bit naive but it was prompted by my lack of experience dealing with DTP files. I hope I did not shock too many people around here

Helene

Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 09:49
English to Estonian
+ ...
Offer to send the file without placeables :) Jan 22, 2005

Offer to send the file without placeables, since you do not charge for them

Those tags are often much harder to deal with than plain words. But I suppose you are charging a higher rate for tagged Quark files anyway...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Decide where to place placeable, yes? Jan 27, 2005

Helene Diu wrote:
My question is : should I charge for placeables? If so, what would be an appropriate rate?

Since you still have to decide where to place the placeable in the text, I think you can rightly charge for each placeable as if placeables are words. In other words, simply add the number of placeables to your normal word count.

[Edited at 2005-01-27 09:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for placeables?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs