Rates for translating lyrics
Thread poster: Frank Gersemsky
Frank Gersemsky
German to English
Jan 30, 2005

Hello,

I was wondering how others establish their rates for translating lyrics.

I was approached by a band to translate their lyrics from English-German.

Surely, simply charging per line wouldn't be adequate to the task, but I am not sure how to calculate here (especially if the translated song turns out to be a success).

I would appreciate any advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Pablo Roufogalis
Colombia
Local time: 19:50
English to Spanish
Artistic work, not translations. Jan 31, 2005

Well, first, this wouldn't be a translation but an adaptation. You have to assess if you have the capabilities to do lyrics in the target language. It has little to do with translation but with being a capable lyricist.

I'd guess that you'd become a cowriter of the target-language version, with royalties to be gained. But if you choose to give away that, only you can say how much that is worth to you.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for translating lyrics

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums