Mobile menu

rate question: word count = source lang or target lang?
Thread poster: chicke11
Local time: 23:16
Korean to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2005

i was wondering:
when freelancers charge a rate that's based on word count rather than hours (ie $0.10 per word), is it usually based on the word count of the original source language document? or the word count of the target language document that the freelancer creates?

Direct link Reply with quote
United States
Local time: 23:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like source, but it depends on the client and the situation Jan 31, 2005

I like source language word count, because both the client and you know how much money is at stake. However, obtaining a source language word count is impossible in cases of faxes, photocopies, PDFs (despite software that counts words in PDFs), etc. In that case, you have to charge by the word count in the target language. Some translators in clients prefer target word count in all cases. You have to find out what works for you.

Keep in mind that word counts can either increase or decrease in the target language, depending on the languages involved. For example, English uses less words than Romance languages, so prices per word should be adjusted accordingly.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rate question: word count = source lang or target lang?

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs