VAT number: do we all have it, or do I have to ask for it?
Thread poster: nrgetic

nrgetic  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:03
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2005

Hi! I'm about to become a Platinum member and in the subscription form I'm asked to write my VAT number. I'd like to know wether I already have it being an 'autónomo' worker in the Spanish finances or wether I have to ask for it...
Thank you all in advance!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Elena Simonelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
DNI Feb 1, 2005

Yes, normally you have a VAT position if you are "autónomo", but in Spain it will be the same as your DNI, so I think you can already provide it, though you have nt asked for a VAT position yet.

Elena Simonelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
sorry Feb 1, 2005

I did not read very carefully and I understood you were not autonomo yet: in case you already are, of course you have a VAT number, it is the number you use to invoice.
Sorry.
Elena

nrgetic  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 1, 2005

Thank you for your help, Helena

pawlik  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
EU VAT number Feb 1, 2005

Hi

In Spain, you just use your NIF. If you're dealing with an EU company outside Spain you need to register using a 036 form at Hacienda as an "operador intracomunitario". The number you get is simply an ES followed by your NIF, but if you register it means that your number appears on the EU site http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/vies/es/vieshome.htm which companies check before they agree not to charge you VAT. Even if you're not dealing with an EU company, it's worth registering now, as although the process is very simple it takes Hacienda more than a week to process the number, and you may need it in a hurry at a later date.

Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT number: do we all have it, or do I have to ask for it?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs