Thread poster: Daniela Gardini

Daniela Gardini
Italy
Local time: 20:23
English to German
+ ...
Feb 1, 2005

Dear collegues,

wanting or not I have to get familiar with word count. I tried to find some information in these forums, but have not been successful so far.
My question is: how many words does one page have?
Are the word counts the same for all languages, e.g. the German, English and Italian pages are considered with the same number of words?

Thank you all for any information in any of the above languages.

Daniela

Direct link Reply with quote

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
No such thing as a standard page... Feb 1, 2005

My question is: how many words does one page have?

Depends on the page size (A4, Letter), layout (margins, pictures), font size, etc. There is no such thing as a standard word count per page; the standard procedure is to count the words (or lines, or characters/key strokes) for each document.

That being said, it is usual to charge for legal documents/hardcopies on a per page basis, but then this material is pretty standard and you usually know at a glance how long it will take. You can consider that an A4 page with standard margins and a 12p font can average between 250-350 words, but to quote on that assumption would be a reckless gambling.

I know that in Italy they have the standard "cartella", which is not a page per se but 1500 keystrokes (other countries use different figures, e.g., 1800).

Are the word counts the same for all languages, e.g. the German, English and Italian pages are considered with the same number of words?

No. In american English, a word averages five characters (+1 space), in German I think the average is 8, and in italian I have absolutely no idea (but probably between 7 - 7ish as Spanish). In addition, in Germany the 55 stroke line is the standard (sometimes 60) instead of the per word price.

All in all, if you are going to calculate your per word price for the first time, you can just time yourself on some assignment and find out how many words you can translate per hour (usually between 250-375). Set a price for your hour et voila!

Hope it helps!

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 14:23
German to English
Pages prices? Educate your client Feb 1, 2005

Clients who are not experienced buyers of translations assume that you will charge by the page. This will provide you with an opportunity to educate your client about the translation process, that translation is much more than "typing" from one language into another. As Rossana has pointed out, the number of words on a page will vary, depending on a variety of factors, and the means of calculating prices will likewise vary.

On the other hand ...

As you become more experienced, you will develop skills to allow you to look at a hardcopy document, for example a fax or printout of a PDF), and estimate the number of words. This will allow you to tell a customer what it will cost to translate the text if you don't have the benefit of running a word count on an electric document.

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
This varies from country to country Feb 1, 2005

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Clients who are not experienced buyers of translations assume that you will charge by the page.

Not necessarily. In my country all translation prices are always expressed in XX per PAGE where page has certain standard number of keystrokes or words. It has, indeed, nothing to do with the printed size, nevertheless, it is called a "page". It's just another convention. I believe a standard page in English have 220-250 words, but I don't know about Italian or German.

One of the ways of recalculating prices according to different conventions, is to count and compare words/keystrokes/lines in some of your previously translated texts.

Magda

Nathalie Kourimsky  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
here is a small software which might help out Feb 2, 2005

Hi,

maybe this will help you out. I also have the problem that depending on the country where they work, my clients use different ways of charging.
I finally found this shareware :
This software was developped by a translator and it converts your line/page/word fee in what you wish. And it does that for several language, you can set the prices yourself according to what you usually charge.
http://www.amtrad.it/feewizardol.php

You can also use it only to estimate what you will be charging
Good luck

Nathalie

Daniela Gardini
Italy
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Feb 2, 2005

everyone for you precious help.

Ciao
Daniela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A fatal approach to word count instead of line count... help requested

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs