Thread poster: Steven Wilson
Steven Wilson
Steven Wilson  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:48
Spanish to English
Nov 30, 2015

Hello everybody,
I have a question about salaries for a translators in Chile, how much can I ask for?
It will be a full time contract of 45 hours a week at a big company. Can I ask for $1,500,000 monthly in Chilean Pesos. Currently the Chilean Peso is 700 to the USD, this would be 2,142 dollars. I don't want too ask for too much, nor too little.

I need a reference salary to base my proposal on.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.
Steven Wilson

Paz González
Paz González  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
In my opinion... Nov 30, 2015

Hello Steven,

I think that this is the minimum that you have to ask for. If it is a big multinational company they must know what a good translator means. We are living in Chile and there are just few people that understand the value of a translator. With less money than that, you can't make a living, especially if you live in Santiago, e.i., you have to pay your bills and eat. But, unfortunately, I think that they are going to offer less money, but I also think that you can negotia
... See more
Hello Steven,

I think that this is the minimum that you have to ask for. If it is a big multinational company they must know what a good translator means. We are living in Chile and there are just few people that understand the value of a translator. With less money than that, you can't make a living, especially if you live in Santiago, e.i., you have to pay your bills and eat. But, unfortunately, I think that they are going to offer less money, but I also think that you can negotiate it. I hope you can get a little more... I wish you luck!

Paz
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 21:48
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Somewhat lower in my opinion Dec 3, 2015

Steven Wilson wrote:

Can I ask for $1,500,000 monthly in Chilean Pesos. Currently the Chilean Peso is 700 to the USD, this would be 2,142 dollars. I don't want too ask for too much, nor too little.

I need a reference salary to base my proposal on.

Dear Steven,

I think that the most you can ask for in this case is $1,200,000. Consider that an engineer in, say, IT receives about $2,000,000 or a little more. A skilled IT professional who is not an engineer but has a degree all the same could be making $1,500,000. A company would regard you as being on a higher level than administrative staff, but I don't think you'd be as valuable to them as qualified technical people with a six year degree.

Of course, you also have to consider what benefits the company would be giving you as well as the hours. It is common for the workday here to last up to 10 hours. If you can negotiate a shorter workday, then you have more time for yourself and/or your family.

All the best.

Reed

[Edited at 2015-12-03 14:33 GMT]

Giuseppe Gallotta
Giuseppe Gallotta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Similar position May 18, 2016

Hi everyone,

I have a similar question to Steven's.

A company is offering me a position (for 3 months) as a translator. Their headquarter is in Ecuador, but the work would be for the Peruvian subsidiary.

I asked US$ 2000, but they say they're paying people from Europe less... i.e. my price is too high.

How much do you think would be the right price? (The impression they gave me is that they're paying a lot less, which scares me a bit).... See more
Hi everyone,

I have a similar question to Steven's.

A company is offering me a position (for 3 months) as a translator. Their headquarter is in Ecuador, but the work would be for the Peruvian subsidiary.

I asked US$ 2000, but they say they're paying people from Europe less... i.e. my price is too high.

How much do you think would be the right price? (The impression they gave me is that they're paying a lot less, which scares me a bit).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
Giuseppe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary for translator position at multinational company in Chile

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »