Proofreading rates
Thread poster: tadan
tadan
Local time: 18:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2005

Hi amigos,

I wanted to ask you all if anyone has any information on rates for proofeading. I´m working in Spain and here they distinguish between "corrección de estilo" (style proofreading) and "corrección ortotipográfica" (grammar and typographical errors´ proofreading). Any help at all will be much appreciated. I wonder if you charge the same or less for proofreading as you do for translation? Also, do you charge proofreading per word proofread (as you often would with a translation)? Many many thanks in advance,
tadan

Direct link Reply with quote

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Rates for proofreading/editing... Feb 23, 2005

I imagine that this has been discussed countless times, but nonetheless, I charge per hour for proofreading and editing.

I remember reading somewhere in a discussion on a ProZ-forum that 1500 words an hour is an acceptable average (depending on the difficulty of the text to be edited, of course).

If I were to charge by word, I would charge a fraction of what I charge per word for translating.

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:45
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
1/3 of the price for translation Feb 23, 2005

There was such question in Bulgarian forum.

The wordwide (according this forum) estimated price is a third of the price of translation.

So, if a price for a translated word is o.o6 Euro, the price for proofreaded word will be 0.02 Euro per word.

So total price is 0.08 Euro per word.

Best regards,
Misho

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
My proofreading fees Feb 23, 2005

Please see http://www.proz.com/translator/7599

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:45
Sorry, this has nothing to do with the thread... Feb 23, 2005

Sven Petersson wrote:

Please see http://www.proz.com/translator/7599[/quote]

... but I cannot help asking Sven what the image in his profile page is. It looks like a valve, but from what body part?

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
the heart Feb 23, 2005

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:
... but I cannot help asking Sven what the image in his profile page is. It looks like a valve, but from what body part?

looks very much like a heart valve to me...

Cheers,
Grace

ps. btw, back to the subject of the thread...I charge per hour (1 minimum) and *I* have the final word about how many hours it takes me.

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:45
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
the rates of our coleague Sven Petersson prove this proportion of 1:3 (proofreading:translation)... Feb 24, 2005

... price approximatelly

Best regards,

Misho

Muiris Ó Fiannachta
Irish to English
+ ...
Minority languages Mar 9, 2005

Would rates be slighly higher for proofreading of translations from major languages to minority languages (i.e. English to Irish/Gaelic)? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part??

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Irish proofreading Apr 8, 2005

Muiris - From past experience, you may certainly charge a little bit extra for Gaelic proofreading, but take care not to price yourself out of the market
Orla

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading rates

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs