Have you ever contacted a Credit Collection agency (in China)?
Thread poster: Roberto Matta
Roberto Matta
Roberto Matta  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 8, 2016

Dear all,

It was just a matter of time before finding an agency that decides not to pay. The company is based in China (although they probably have an European branch). After completing the first 2 jobs, not very big translations, they regularly paid me; the third was a bigger translation (the final client was always the same, an important IT company); the payment deadline was in 60 days (way too much, I know), but I never received the money, receiving instead explanations like the
... See more
Dear all,

It was just a matter of time before finding an agency that decides not to pay. The company is based in China (although they probably have an European branch). After completing the first 2 jobs, not very big translations, they regularly paid me; the third was a bigger translation (the final client was always the same, an important IT company); the payment deadline was in 60 days (way too much, I know), but I never received the money, receiving instead explanations like the client didn't pay etc. I initially accepted to wait, because the first translations were paid on time, so I trusted them.

In the meanwhile (during the 60 days) I also made other translations for other final clients through the same agency; not even these translations have been paid, which makes hard to believe that both final clients didn't pay them. I sent a final reminder, asking the payment of all invoices otherwise I would take legal measures; they blacklisted my email address, as every time I try to contact somebody in the company (project manager, accountant departments) I receive back a error message from the server which says that the email address doesn't exist.

I tried to contact several Credit Collection agencies in China, but for the moment I never received an answer; the suspect is that they are not interested in small debit collection (1,500€ for me is not so small). Does anybody ever used these kind of agencies to obtain the payment? Do you think I'm moving in the right direction?
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:46
English to German
I have no experience with China, but ... Feb 8, 2016

When I looked for a collection agency last year I thought it was best, if the collection agency was located in the country of the non-paying client. I contacted one who advertised debt collection in that country, but the person I dealt with was in the UK, he explained that they had agents in that country.

A collection agency with agents in China might be a possibility in your case?

Roberto Matta
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I'm contacting only China-based companies Feb 8, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

When I looked for a collection agency last year I thought it was best, if the collection agency was located in the country of the non-paying client. I contacted one who advertised debt collection in that country, but the person I dealt with was in the UK, he explained that they had agents in that country.

A collection agency with agents in China might be a possibility in your case?

I thought the same, so I'm just contacting agencies based in China. I probably contacted more than 20, but I haven't received any answer yet. It's frustrating.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:46
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have they filed for bankruptcy? Feb 8, 2016

Roberto Matta wrote:
they blacklisted my email address, as every time I try to contact somebody in the company (project manager, accountant departments) I receive back a error message from the server which says that the email address doesn't exist.

I don't think you'd be receiving that message if they'd blacklisted you, would you? It isn't something I know much about but this seem more appropriate for an email account that CAN'T accept your emails.

I tried to contact several Credit Collection agencies in China, but for the moment I never received an answer; the suspect is that they are not interested in small debit collection (1,500€ for me is not so small).

I would have thought that would be enough to interest them. Perhaps they know that it would be a waste of time, as they can't get money out of a bankrupt company.

I have no idea how you could go about checking if a China-based company is still solvent, but I think that's what you should be doing first.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
It does sound a little weird... Feb 8, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Roberto Matta wrote:
they blacklisted my email address, as every time I try to contact somebody in the company (project manager, accountant departments) I receive back a error message from the server which says that the email address doesn't exist.

I don't think you'd be receiving that message if they'd blacklisted you, would you? It isn't something I know much about but this seem more appropriate for an email account that CAN'T accept your emails.

Roberto, you could also try a (free) "email address verifier" (just google that, quotes included) service on those addresses and see what you get.

Also check their BB profile here (if any) and their domain with a whois tool, just to be sure they didn't set up a website 2 months ago, or something like that. If that were the case, then I fear the chances of getting something back would be rater slim...

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Trie that one Feb 8, 2016

You can trie a French debt collecting agency which also works in China:

http://www.cash-and-collect.fr/

I already worked with them. They speak English and French and they take 20 % of the money they get. If they get nothing, it's free.

Roberto Matta
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was indeed a good suggestion Feb 8, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Roberto Matta wrote:

Roberto, you could also try a (free) "email address verifier" (just google that, quotes included) service on those addresses and see what you get.

Also check their BB profile here (if any) and their domain with a whois tool, just to be sure they didn't set up a website 2 months ago, or something like that. If that were the case, then I fear the chances of getting something back would be rater slim...

Thanks a lot Mirko, I didn't know about the email address verifier... I tested the address and yes, they exist, so seems they really blacklisted my email address, really a mature behaviour.

Thanks Mirko

Roberto Matta
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Andrea Feb 8, 2016

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

You can trie a French debt collecting agency which also works in China:

http://www.cash-and-collect.fr/

I already worked with them. They speak English and French and they take 20 % of the money they get. If they get nothing, it's free.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to contact them right now. Your suggestions is really appreciated

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever contacted a Credit Collection agency (in China)?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »