Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:06
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2016

Hello Prozians,

I worked with an Italian agency in 2014 and 2015 (one job each). In 2014 I was paid relaively quickly, because we agreed a payment 30 days after the invoice date.
However, the 2015 job delivered on Nov 17th has not been paid. I am aware of the fact that Italian agencies are paing late, I also considered that a lot of holidays were - maybe - hindering the payment. After Christmas I sent a reminder, in January I sent a reminder saying that I will charge 20% on t
... See more
Hello Prozians,

I worked with an Italian agency in 2014 and 2015 (one job each). In 2014 I was paid relaively quickly, because we agreed a payment 30 days after the invoice date.
However, the 2015 job delivered on Nov 17th has not been paid. I am aware of the fact that Italian agencies are paing late, I also considered that a lot of holidays were - maybe - hindering the payment. After Christmas I sent a reminder, in January I sent a reminder saying that I will charge 20% on top, if the payment will not be effected soon.
Today I sent a last reminder demanding payment or at least an answer and that otherwise I would make a negative entry on the Blue Board.
Before that I had a look on the Blue board finding out that the agency has an average assessment of 3.8 showing people giving a "5" while others gave "1".

I checked my emails some minutes before (at 10 pm), no reply. So I wanted to make the negative entry. But alas, the agency does not exist anymore on the blueboard and also the name of the owner (female) cannot be found any longer.

The amount they owe me is not very high (about 150 €), but it must be a matter of principle to pay translators, who were assigned jobs.

Do you have any suggestions how I could chase the agency in Italy.

Sybille
Collapse

Elda Munguia
Elda Munguia
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use social networks Feb 9, 2016

Have you tried to contact the person via social networks?
I worked for a company in utah but my contact left the agency and didn pay me the last job I did for them. I contacted them via facebook and they gave me his replacement email, one week later I received my payment.

Ilham Ahmadov
Ilham Ahmadov  Identity Verified
Azerbaijan
Local time: 15:06
English to Azerbaijani
+ ...
Italian agencies Feb 10, 2016

Hello,

I also have a problem with an Italian agency. They refuse to pay because they made up so many mistakes in my good translation. This agency that I am dealing with is not a translation agency, but a direct client, who found courage to check my translation with the dictionary only.

I can not imagine how a person not speaking or knowing the language can check the translation and then say its crap?? Unfortunately, I don't really how to deal with my own problem, let a
... See more
Hello,

I also have a problem with an Italian agency. They refuse to pay because they made up so many mistakes in my good translation. This agency that I am dealing with is not a translation agency, but a direct client, who found courage to check my translation with the dictionary only.

I can not imagine how a person not speaking or knowing the language can check the translation and then say its crap?? Unfortunately, I don't really how to deal with my own problem, let alone yours, except for the blue board entry that I have already made. But I start to develop this bias against Italian agencies, next time I am faced with them, I will demand upfront payment and that's it.

Ilham Ahmadov
Sybille wrote:

Hello Prozians,

However, the 2015 job delivered on Nov 17th has not been paid. I am aware of the fact that Italian agencies are paing late, I also considered that a lot of holidays were - maybe - hindering the payment. After Christmas I sent a reminder, in January I sent a reminder saying that I will charge 20% on top, if the payment will not be effected soon.
Today I sent a last reminder demanding payment or at least an answer and that otherwise I would make a negative entry on the Blue Board.
Before that I had a look on the Blue board finding out that the agency has an average assessment of 3.8 showing people giving a "5" while others gave "1".

I checked my emails some minutes before (at 10 pm), no reply. So I wanted to make the negative entry. But alas, the agency does not exist anymore on the blueboard and also the name of the owner (female) cannot be found any longer.

The amount they owe me is not very high (about 150 €), but it must be a matter of principle to pay translators, who were assigned jobs.

Do you have any suggestions how I could chase the agency in Italy.

Sybille
Collapse

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
. Feb 10, 2016

Dear Sybille,
if you want, you can write me a PM with the name of the agency and I can check its status, i.e. insolvency, other issues, etc... and if needed also to contact a debt collection agency here.

Serena

Sybille Brückner
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Serena Feb 10, 2016

Thank you for your offer to help.

Sybille

Sybille Brückner
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Elda Feb 10, 2016

Thanks for the advice, Elda, but I do not participate in any of the social networks. Maybe very old-fashioned, but I dislike those networks.
(although I found out that this woman is on several such networks).

Sybille

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The Blue Board entry has disappeared? Feb 10, 2016

That is extremely worrying news for all of us as tgat should never be allowed to happen. The BB is not linked with a profile, necessarily. An outsourcer is free to remove their profile but I hope to goodness they aren't free to remove their BB record. Please, for all our sakes, send a Support Ticket to ProZ.com staff to report that and get it reinstated.

I think you first need to check with the Italian companies' register to ensure that this company is still trading. I found a reall
... See more
That is extremely worrying news for all of us as tgat should never be allowed to happen. The BB is not linked with a profile, necessarily. An outsourcer is free to remove their profile but I hope to goodness they aren't free to remove their BB record. Please, for all our sakes, send a Support Ticket to ProZ.com staff to report that and get it reinstated.

I think you first need to check with the Italian companies' register to ensure that this company is still trading. I found a really useful Wikipedia page that lists contact details for many countries. If this agency is insolvent, all you can do is register your claim officially.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A method Feb 10, 2016

I have a method for forcing Italian agencies to pay. It has worked several times. Nobody has ever succeeded in not paying me, although a few have tried.

The first thing to do is:

No matter how small the amount, resolve in your own mind that you are going to force those people to pay you. Don't allow yourself to feel upset, hurt, angry, or vindictive. This is just another task. All in a day's work.

If you still have a postal address for the agency in questi
... See more
I have a method for forcing Italian agencies to pay. It has worked several times. Nobody has ever succeeded in not paying me, although a few have tried.

The first thing to do is:

No matter how small the amount, resolve in your own mind that you are going to force those people to pay you. Don't allow yourself to feel upset, hurt, angry, or vindictive. This is just another task. All in a day's work.

If you still have a postal address for the agency in question, and you want to continue with this, contact me privately.
Collapse

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
BB entry Feb 10, 2016

I've checked and their BB record still exists, but no entry from Sybille is displayed.

Sybille Brückner
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Serena Feb 10, 2016

How can that be? I just once more searched for her private name and the name of her company. It is not visible to me, i.e. For me, it does not exist anymore. I was just about to phone her, but think that this would be of no avail. She might not answer the phone. And I was also thinking about sending a support ticket to the Proz staff.

Sybille Brückner
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tom Feb 10, 2016

I sent a private mail to you.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sometimes a capital letter missed Feb 10, 2016

Sybille wrote:

How can that be? I just once more searched for her private name and the name of her company. It is not visible to me, i.e. For me, it does not exist anymore. I was just about to phone her, but think that this would be of no avail. She might not answer the phone. And I was also thinking about sending a support ticket to the Proz staff.

Or something like that can prevent to see a certain BB record, but if you ask to the staff via a support ticket, they will give you the link, as far as I know, nobody can delete their BB profile without permission, especially if there are low entries.

[Edited at 2016-02-10 13:32 GMT]

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
Can you block someone on Proz? Feb 11, 2016

I don't know if this is possible on Proz.
But I had an ex-colleague on Facebook who is quite angry at me apparently (I did not do anything wrong, but I think she is blaming me for getting fired as we worked together for ten months and I am doing her job as well now). I can't see her Facebook profile anymore, although friends can still see her Facebook profile. So I guess she blocked me.
IF this is possible on Proz as well, this might be what happened? Although that would be very chi
... See more
I don't know if this is possible on Proz.
But I had an ex-colleague on Facebook who is quite angry at me apparently (I did not do anything wrong, but I think she is blaming me for getting fired as we worked together for ten months and I am doing her job as well now). I can't see her Facebook profile anymore, although friends can still see her Facebook profile. So I guess she blocked me.
IF this is possible on Proz as well, this might be what happened? Although that would be very childish...
Collapse

Sybille Brückner
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blocking Feb 11, 2016

Proz staff sent me the link of the company, by means of which I now was able to make an entry.
Nevertheless, if I fill in the field on the top right of the original Proz page(+ User or Client), it does not display anything of the company .... but some days ago I still could not see.

I asked the proz staff, why that can happen -still waiting for the answer.

Sybille

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No... Feb 11, 2016

Nele Van den Broeck wrote:

I can't see her Facebook profile anymore, although friends can still see her Facebook profile. So I guess she blocked me.
IF this is possible on Proz as well, this might be what happened? Although that would be very childish...

This is not possible in Proz.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-payment of an Italian agency

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »