Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 23:36
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 26, 2005

I would like to get some feedback on the average time it takes to work on a technical glossary. I understand this varies with subject and language pair, but I would like to see if the estimates I made are way off the mark or not. I am working on a document where I made an agreement with the client to charge the glossary based on time, and the rest of the document per word, and would like to make sure that my accounting is fair and the numbers make sense.

The terms were mostly mecha
... See more
I would like to get some feedback on the average time it takes to work on a technical glossary. I understand this varies with subject and language pair, but I would like to see if the estimates I made are way off the mark or not. I am working on a document where I made an agreement with the client to charge the glossary based on time, and the rest of the document per word, and would like to make sure that my accounting is fair and the numbers make sense.

The terms were mostly mechanical parts. But let me know of your experience as follows:

Language pair:
Subject:
Number of glossary entries:
Total time for glossary:
Average look-up time per word (mins.):

I will try to collect everything and organize it for easy access in the end.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2005-02-26 04:34]

[Edited at 2005-02-26 04:34]
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 17:36
Member (2003)
French to English
I have questions regarding glossaries, too. Mar 2, 2005

I just did some glossaries for a client, and they’re really not that complex plus they helped me too, but on the other hand, they are part of the work I completed and I’m sure it’s understood that I will charge…I was thinking in this case, I could add it on to the related invoices and calculate it by word count.

But I’d like to know in general how other translators work regarding glossaries they prepare for clients, as usually for me it’s been the opposite, if anything (
... See more
I just did some glossaries for a client, and they’re really not that complex plus they helped me too, but on the other hand, they are part of the work I completed and I’m sure it’s understood that I will charge…I was thinking in this case, I could add it on to the related invoices and calculate it by word count.

But I’d like to know in general how other translators work regarding glossaries they prepare for clients, as usually for me it’s been the opposite, if anything (i.e., they send me the glossary to follow).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time per glossary word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »