How eager are clients to pay by using credit cards?
Thread poster: Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 28, 2005

Hello!

I consider offering my clients the possibility of paying by using credit cards. As far as I know, the cheapest solution would be Paypal. However, even this solution would imply some additional costs on my behalf, and my question is: would it be worth it? Are there clients that would prefer using credit cards rather than bank transfers or other solutions?
Thanks.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Clients have many bills to pay Feb 28, 2005

Mihai Badea wrote:
Are there clients that would prefer using credit cards rather than bank transfers or other solutions?

I can only speculate. I think a client is a business with lots of different bills to pay. The client's accountant would probably prefer to pay all of these invoices at once using a method which can be used at a single location. In other words, I think clients would be less likely to prefer credit card payment because it entails a different process than most other bill payments (which, I think, is direct bank transfer).

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I tried but didn't succeed Feb 28, 2005

Three years ago I got the membership of Visa, but no client wanted to use this method. I would have sent a form, which the client could fill in and sign and fax to me and I would bill it with Visa. Myself I have used this paying method since 20 years when ordering from abroad.
But it seems people do not like to send their credit card number, I don't know why. Visa would have been much cheper than Paypal.
Regards
Heinrich

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:06
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Certain clients are very eager to pay using credit cards Feb 28, 2005

I find that certain clients are very eager to pay using credit cards, but I do not see why I should pay a whacking great sum to receive their money. If they want to pay by credit card, they ask me if they can pay by Paypal. This is not feasible for me if they are within the EU, where neither they nor I will have to pay any bank fees if they simply transfer the money.

To get round the problem, and the very high fees that Paypal charge me for accepting these credit card payments, I
... See more
I find that certain clients are very eager to pay using credit cards, but I do not see why I should pay a whacking great sum to receive their money. If they want to pay by credit card, they ask me if they can pay by Paypal. This is not feasible for me if they are within the EU, where neither they nor I will have to pay any bank fees if they simply transfer the money.

To get round the problem, and the very high fees that Paypal charge me for accepting these credit card payments, I write on the bottom of the invoice that there is an additional fee of EUR xxxx for VISA payments, if the amount concerned is less than EUR xxxxxxx. Since the people who wanted to pay by VISA could not afford to place an order for the translation in the first place, and then it often is for a very small amount, this is the only way not to lose a significant proportion of what they pay for the translation. Their usual reaction to the note on the invoice is to wait an extra four weeks and then pay by bank transfer. This costs me less, anyway.
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I shall not hurry Mar 1, 2005

Thank you very much for your answers. I thought twice and I’m not going to bother about offering this facility for now being. Actually, no client asked me or offered so far to pay by credit card. Generally speaking, I think being proactive is a good thing, but in this particular case I prefer to wait for a while.
Thanks again for your inputs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How eager are clients to pay by using credit cards?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »