TAXES - Self-employed paying to a foreigner
Thread poster: MarSark
MarSark
MarSark
English to Spanish
Mar 2, 2005

Hola!
Firstly, congratulations for this GREAT site!! It´s very helpful.
I need advice on taxes
This is my first year in US. I am from Argentina. I made some translations last year and was sent the 1099 forms. Unfortunately, as I had no experience in taxes, I didn´t keep any track of my expenses so I won´t be able to deduct anything BUT I do hav
... See more
Hola!
Firstly, congratulations for this GREAT site!! It´s very helpful.
I need advice on taxes
This is my first year in US. I am from Argentina. I made some translations last year and was sent the 1099 forms. Unfortunately, as I had no experience in taxes, I didn´t keep any track of my expenses so I won´t be able to deduct anything BUT I do have my rental lease and as I worked at home I think I might deduct at least 10% from that. IS IT WORTH IT? My next biggest concern is this:
I paid US$1000 to a translator in Argentina to help me with some translations. Am I able to deduct that? I read some publications in the IRS and found out that I would have to withhold 30%?? For those living abroad and working for US as freelance translators. Is that correct??
Also, for taxes purposes: would it be better if I register an agency, or is it better to be self-employed?
THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP... I hope I didn´t ask TOO many questions.

MAR
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 17:22
Member (2003)
French to English
Here's a link to the IRS website Mar 2, 2005

Hi! Welcome to ProZ.com. You can check out this IRS link for more information regarding taxes.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html

Publication 54 (2004), Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

Also, I may be mistaken, but I think this type of question may have come up before. To find out, you could do a search on
... See more
Hi! Welcome to ProZ.com. You can check out this IRS link for more information regarding taxes.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html

Publication 54 (2004), Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

Also, I may be mistaken, but I think this type of question may have come up before. To find out, you could do a search on the forums and it'll take you right to information that may already be posted.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TAXES - Self-employed paying to a foreigner

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »