Mobile menu

TAXES - Self-employed paying to a foreigner
Thread poster: MarSark
English to Spanish
Mar 2, 2005

Firstly, congratulations for this GREAT site!! It´s very helpful.
I need advice on taxes
This is my first year in US. I am from Argentina. I made some translations last year and was sent the 1099 forms. Unfortunately, as I had no experience in taxes, I didn´t keep any track of my expenses so I won´t be able to deduct anything BUT I do have my rental lease and as I worked at home I think I might deduct at least 10% from that. IS IT WORTH IT? My next biggest concern is this:
I paid US$1000 to a translator in Argentina to help me with some translations. Am I able to deduct that? I read some publications in the IRS and found out that I would have to withhold 30%?? For those living abroad and working for US as freelance translators. Is that correct??
Also, for taxes purposes: would it be better if I register an agency, or is it better to be self-employed?
THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP... I hope I didn´t ask TOO many questions.

Direct link Reply with quote
United States
Local time: 04:01
French to English
Here's a link to the IRS website Mar 2, 2005

Hi! Welcome to You can check out this IRS link for more information regarding taxes.

Publication 54 (2004), Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

Also, I may be mistaken, but I think this type of question may have come up before. To find out, you could do a search on the forums and it'll take you right to information that may already be posted.

I hope this helps.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TAXES - Self-employed paying to a foreigner

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs