Mobile menu

Thread poster: Julie BEILLE - FOLTZ
Local time: 09:59
English to French
+ ...
Mar 4, 2005

I received the followinf email form an agency . What do you think I should be pricing ? Knowing they allowed me to download SDLX.
Thanks for your responses.

Sorry to late response, since we have to wait for the client's schedule plan. Please find the additionnal info. for this project as following.

1. Start date - provisionally 4, 11 and 18 March -- other projects to follow

2. Deadline - varies according to each job, but expect translators to complete 2,000 words per day

3. Approximate volume per week for each translator - 6-8,000 words

4. Are there TMs available? - Yes with high 100% matches

5. Translation rate for new words and repetitions - new words full rate, 100% matches & reps 25%

6. Project conditions – SDLX Lite 2004 must be used

7. How long is the project likely to be? - work will be regularly received throughout the year

Also, as far as rates are concerned, there is a lot of work available to those who can offer discounted rates.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
pricing Mar 4, 2005

Sug. Maybe you should reduce your quotes in about a 30%.

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
English to German
+ ...
Depends on your situation Mar 4, 2005

Hi Julie,

Even though most agencies ask you to offer discounts for large volumes I wouldn't necessarily do so. It all depends on your situation. Is this a big client or do is the project they offer very interesting for you? Then it might be a good idea to offer some discount (I'd say a maximum of 10%).

If you do have a few other good clients that keep you busy most of the time and are willing to pay your normal rate, it might not be a good idea to offer any discount to this agency. This might result in you working for the agency for a discounted rate most of the time while you have to turn down projects from other clients that would pay your regular rate.

By the way, you really shouldn't offer them any discount just because they let you download SDLX Lite. This program can be downloaded free of charge from the SDL website. Also, you can only use it to work on projects that have been created in SDLX Elite, which means you will only be able to use it for projects you get from this agency. You cannot use it to create other projects or anything of the like.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Your normal rate Mar 5, 2005

I think they only want you to confirm that you agree to being paid a reduced rate for repetitions (i.e. 25%). Do they already know what your normal rate is?

25% of your normal rate for repetitions is quite reasonable (usually around a third of your normal rate). One thing to remember with SDLX is that you will have to spend time after doing the translation on getting the format right and other 'administrative' tasks.

You can also download the full SDLX package for a 30-day trial period free of charge.

English to German
+ ...
No manual postprocessing required Apr 7, 2005

Marijke Singer wrote:

One thing to remember with SDLX is that you will have to spend time after doing the translation on getting the format right and other 'administrative' tasks.

I cannot confirm this. You simply choose option File > Create Translation. That's it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs