https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/30196-satellite_dishes_tax_deductible.html

Satellite Dishes - Tax deductible??
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:16
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2005

I live in the U.S. and I am having a satellite dish installed next week in order to receive international programming. Does anyone know whether or not the monthly bill to receive these channels would be tax deductible or not for a translator/interpreter by way of improving/maintaining/enhancing knowledge of a foreign language, etc.?

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:16
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not in the UK Mar 7, 2005

I know for fact that they are not tax deductible in the UK. The only case where you could claim anything back would be if at a time when you had a certain translation to do there was a range of programs on one of the satellite channels that would be directly linked to the subject of your translation. Then you could claim back a certain percentage of the subscription total of the relevant month. Or lets say, there is a program on translation art, or language course, or grammar lessons.

... See more
I know for fact that they are not tax deductible in the UK. The only case where you could claim anything back would be if at a time when you had a certain translation to do there was a range of programs on one of the satellite channels that would be directly linked to the subject of your translation. Then you could claim back a certain percentage of the subscription total of the relevant month. Or lets say, there is a program on translation art, or language course, or grammar lessons.

Cheers,
Burrell
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Consult a tax expert Mar 7, 2005

I suspect that you would have a hard time convincing the IRS that, unlike a broadband connection, this would be a legitimate expense. You would have to prove that the programming has a direct relationship to your work. You might be asked to produce a log indicating the professional / entertainment use (as was the case years ago when PCs were a novelty to the IRS).

As with most tax / legal advice, the best course is to consult an expert.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already discussed Mar 7, 2005

As usual, it seems that this has been discussed before:

http://www.proz.com/post/153253

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Satellite Dishes - Tax deductible??

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »