Is it common to charge for repeated answers in a survey?
Thread poster: Maria Vega
Maria Vega
United States
Local time: 19:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 7, 2005

If you have 10 or more of the same type for answers, like agree, totally agree, hardly agree, etc.

Do you charge for only one of them?

Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:37
English to Tamil
+ ...
Could you be a little clearer in your statement? Mar 8, 2005

Are you as a professional responsible for the repetition? Irrespective of whether it is a translation of a questionnaire, or the answering of the questionnaire as such, each agree or disagree is a product of reflection for the question concerned. Further, in case of a translation, if agree or disagree is the answer to many questions, so be it. You have to charge as per the wordcount and let no client persuade you differently.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
It is, Mar 8, 2005

...at least from my experience.

Good luck,
Kerstin

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, unless... Mar 8, 2005

Maria Vega wrote:
If you have 10 or more of the same type for answers, like agree, totally agree, hardly agree, etc. Do you charge for only one of them?

Yes, unless the clients demands a discount or unless a fuzzy match discount system is already in place.

Samuel

Maria Vega
United States
Local time: 19:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Mar 8, 2005

Your insights have cleared my doubt.

hirselina
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Questionnaire scales Mar 8, 2005

If the same scale (agree, totally agree, hardly agree, etc.) appears ten times or more in a questionnaire, it seems very odd to me to charge ten times. Good researchers are very coherent in the use of answer categories thoughout a questionnaire and the scales can be copied automatically.

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Do what the client will have you do. Mar 8, 2005

To put it bluntly: If the client provides you with a document to be translated, translate the document - even if the word "the" appears 75 times.

I personally think that the clients are smart enough and grown up enough, not to have to be led to their luck. If your client was smart (or organized) enough, you could have been provided with the questions alone and only one set of answers.

It's funny enough though, that very few clients actually take advantage of the system, i.e. provide completely unformatted texts minus all repetitions (I charge for everything: spaces, commas etc.). I get the feeling that most clients - not unlike some translators - wait until the very last moment to get the thing done and then run out of time...

[Edited at 2005-03-08 19:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it common to charge for repeated answers in a survey?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs