Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 01:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 9, 2005

Hi, all!

I have a question regarding fees for desktop publishing work. I have experience with DTP since I do it every day at my current day job, but I don't have a clue as to what to charge for it as freelance work.

The thing is, I've been offered the job of translating a document (or several docs, I'm not too sure) that contains approximately 140,000 words. The problem is that not only does it involve translating, but also quite a bit of DTP.

I know that translation work and DTP work are charged separately, as they are two distinct tasks.

About a year and a half ago I worked on a similar document from the same client, but it was much much smaller. At that time, I only charged for the translation. This time, the client realized that not only is the word count considerably larger, but also the DTP is quite heavy, so he asked me to please give him a total quote for both tasks.

I had thought of an hourly rate, but then I have no way of knowing how long it will take me to do the job, in order to give him an approximate amount.

What would work best in this case? A higher than usual per-word/per-page rate to accommodate both tasks? An hourly rate?

It goes without saying that I don't want to shortchange myself, but I don't want to take advantage of my client either!

Many thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2005-03-09 17:05]

Direct link Reply with quote

Richtrans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Charge for DTP Mar 9, 2005

Dear colleague,
You can collect your fee for DTP from your client on the basis of pages. For example, you may collect USD1 for each page that you have to be edited. Of course, the rate is related to several factors, such as the page size, word counts, layout complexity, and so on.
I wish you could undertake the project ASAP and get a reasonable salary.

Best regards.

Richard

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Base price on a sample Mar 9, 2005

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

I had thought of an hourly rate, but then I have no way of knowing how long it will take me to do the job, in order to give him an approximate amount.

It goes without saying that I don't want to shortchange myself, but I don't want to take advantage of my client either!

Many thanks in advance![/quote]

Before committing yourself to a final price, time yourself doing a few pages. This can give you a good idea how long it will take per page. Be sure to look through the whole document to make sure your sample is typical.

xxxNicolette Ri
Local time: 07:04
French to Dutch
+ ...
Are you kidding? Mar 10, 2005

rjfanyi wrote:
For example, you may collect USD1 for each page that you have to be edited.

Each page may take up to one hour to be edited and cost as much as USD40. The only thing to do is to try some pages, as suggested.

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:04
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Local Kinkos Mar 10, 2005

A price list from your local Kinkos' will give you a good idea about price ranges.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

fees for desktop publishing work

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs