Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 28, 2002

Hello,

I have a simple question: are we required to enter our rates on our ProZ profile or is this optional?

Thank you,

Monika

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-29 00:08 ]

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
Member (2005)
German to English
optional May 28, 2002

Don\'t have rates on mine, and the rate police have not knocked on my door yet.

Seriously, I find putting rates out there on the web might run into trouble when you decide to raise them. Better to discuss it with the client in the privacy of your own phone. Then, you may raise the rates for new clients without them knowing that it is higher than the rate for old clients.

My take on it.

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:27
English to Hindi
+ ...
Rates May 28, 2002

Dear Monika

I dont know if it is optional but one can make them invisible. I just tried that with my profile. But the idea of visible rates is not a good one for me.

Roomy

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Rates are not completely optional... May 28, 2002

See http://www.proz.com/?sp=settings_rates&help=1&help_topic=visible

or follow the link from Jason\'s posting http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=7198&topic=3022&forum=1

and you will see that if you are not willing to enter or show your rates in your
... See more
See http://www.proz.com/?sp=settings_rates&help=1&help_topic=visible

or follow the link from Jason\'s posting http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=7198&topic=3022&forum=1

and you will see that if you are not willing to enter or show your rates in your profile, you will not get all job postings e-mailed to you and you will only be able to bid within limited range!

I am not going to put my rates on display, and if these new rules are going to be applied to platinum members can someone tell me what the point in paying 120 dollars is??? From that moment on, Proz.com can count on NOT getting my money!

Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feeling left out! May 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-28 21:35, Minna wrote:

I am not going to put my rates on display, and if these new rules are going to be applied to platinum members can someone tell me what the point in paying 120 dollars is!

Especially when my currency is not even included!

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
It's up to you May 28, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-05-28 21:35, Minna wrote:

........and you will see that if you are not willing to enter or show your rates in your profile, you will not get all job postings e-mailed to you and you will only be able to bid within limited range!\"

Hi Minna,

You don\'t need to display your rates, if you don\'t want to: you can enter them and choose not to make them visible.

Bids: rates visible = rates not visible (same result: \"can bid anywhere within your range\")

rates not entered = \"can bid only within limited range (decided by the rates entered by other translators)\"

IMO it is worthwhile entering rates. Then it\'s up to you.

I think there is no point in receiving all emails, especially when a job is posted and the maximum rate they offer is lower than your minimum charge per word.

If your currency is not available, why don\'t you choose EUR or US $?

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-28 22:45 ]

United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Invisible rates? May 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-28 22:40, docgy wrote:

I think there is no point in receiving all emails, especially when a job is posted and the maximum rate they offer is lower than your minimum charge per word.

I still don\'t quite understand what the point is in entering your rates if they are invisible???

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-05-28 22:40, docgy wrote:

I still don\'t quite understand what the point is in entering your rates if they are invisible???

I guess with your language combinations you get more job postings with pricing but with Finnish I rarely see any postings with a max. rate. Or better: we don\'t get that many job postings altogether and I really don\'t mind getting an email from all of them!

Collapse

Invisible rates May 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-28 22:54, Minna wrote:

Invisible rates still have the same effect on the emails you receive, they just aren\'t displayed publicly.

Quote:

I guess with your language combinations you get more job postings ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-05-28 22:54, Minna wrote:

Invisible rates still have the same effect on the emails you receive, they just aren\'t displayed publicly.

Quote:

I guess with your language combinations you get more job postings with pricing but with Finnish I rarely see any postings with a max. rate.

As part of the rates addition, the outsourcer has fields when posting a job to specify the rate per word, hour, or the total payment for the job. There is still the option to enter custom pricing, but those jobs that fit the standard format will display the payment in an easy to read and standard format (see http://www.proz.com/translationjobs/22353 as an example).

As a bonus, we can now do on-the-fly currency conversions. To set your preferred currency, see the Edit personal data link on your Profile page.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-28 23:56 ]Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I still see a problem with rates May 29, 2002

I still see a problem with rates as implemented. I like to be very flexible with my rates for a number of reasons which I currently do not care to elaborate on.

For example when I use Trados, I give huge discounts, especially for extremely large and simple projects (like the one I am currently working on).

Well, I tried to enter my lowest rate that I have ever given (using Trados on simple text) and it automatically calculated the maximum rate, which wa
... See more
I still see a problem with rates as implemented. I like to be very flexible with my rates for a number of reasons which I currently do not care to elaborate on.

For example when I use Trados, I give huge discounts, especially for extremely large and simple projects (like the one I am currently working on).

Well, I tried to enter my lowest rate that I have ever given (using Trados on simple text) and it automatically calculated the maximum rate, which was still lower than my normal rate for a normal translation. I do not think this is appropriate. I do not believe that my rates should be enforced by a computer here at ProZ.

Please Henry, reconsider this function, as I see lots of problems, and as I have heard a number of complaints thus far.

I see the good point behind it, but I do not think it would hurt people as much to receive job notifications which they might not be interested in. Rather, more people will be directly impacted if they do not receive job notifications that they might be interested in.

I would still like to be flexible with my rates and change them whenever I want and however I want, and I do not believe in fixed rates.

Further it would be in ProZ\'s best interest to keep the members happy with regards to this issue. Although many translators might like this additional functionality, many will not and this would be more harmful than benefical. If this was purely optional and permitted a way for a person to get all job notifications without respect to rates, and also permitted restriction based on rates, this would be ideal; but, in its current implementation it is less than desired.

Thank you,

Monika

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-29 04:58 ]
Collapse

United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Monika May 29, 2002

I fully agree with you!

Minna

Pilar Megías
Pilar Megías
Local time: 14:57
English to Catalan
+ ...
Fixed rates: No way!! May 29, 2002

When I assign a rate to a project I consider many aspects: language combination, degree of \"technicity\", speciality, agency or direct client, rush or non rush job, volume, feedback given by the agency/direct client, payment terms, references ABOUT the agency...

This means that my rates are VERY flexible. I consider this measure very harmful for our profession. We are freelance and thus, we have our own right to set our rates depending on every particular job offer.
... See more
When I assign a rate to a project I consider many aspects: language combination, degree of \"technicity\", speciality, agency or direct client, rush or non rush job, volume, feedback given by the agency/direct client, payment terms, references ABOUT the agency...

This means that my rates are VERY flexible. I consider this measure very harmful for our profession. We are freelance and thus, we have our own right to set our rates depending on every particular job offer.

AND if I PAY 120 USD for PROZ service, I want to get the FULL functionality of the site.

If you continue with this policy, I will cancel my platinum membership and ask for my money back!

P. Megías

Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
I agree May 29, 2002

I agree about this rates thing being a somewhat contentious issue.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:57
English to German
+ ...
Let's not forget where this function came from... May 29, 2002

The way I see it, this function was not *imposed* by ProZ; neither is it any attempt to fix rates.

Correct me if I\'m wrong, but IMO this is meant as a first-step response to the issue of job postings at prices that are perceived to be too low. Rather than trying to fix an arbitrary minimum level (below which potential outsourcers would be forced off the site), this process works the other way round, by reducing visibility for jobs which pay less than the minimum levels req
... See more
The way I see it, this function was not *imposed* by ProZ; neither is it any attempt to fix rates.

Correct me if I\'m wrong, but IMO this is meant as a first-step response to the issue of job postings at prices that are perceived to be too low. Rather than trying to fix an arbitrary minimum level (below which potential outsourcers would be forced off the site), this process works the other way round, by reducing visibility for jobs which pay less than the minimum levels required by members looking for jobs.

I\'m afraid we cannot have it both ways: trying to get rid of offers at excessively low prices, but still wanting to see them, just in case. (I am fully aware that the critics of this system are not necessarily those who were pleading for minimum levels.)

Where I do see a problem is in fixing a maximum rate; whilst this might be interesting from a statistical perspective, I don\'t think the 250% range is necessarily correct, nor does a maximum level make sense in all scenarios.
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
True May 29, 2002

Ralf, you are correct. It is not as if I want to work at 1.5 cents a word. But certainly I see no harm if I get to see that posting. I would know what the trends in the market might be and I might still know the advertiser\'s name and doing some Sherlock Holmes can find out their contact details. So, I might as well contact them individually and even get a bid much above what they advertised.

In theory, this is a good idea but I dont want my rates advetised even though I ma
... See more
Ralf, you are correct. It is not as if I want to work at 1.5 cents a word. But certainly I see no harm if I get to see that posting. I would know what the trends in the market might be and I might still know the advertiser\'s name and doing some Sherlock Holmes can find out their contact details. So, I might as well contact them individually and even get a bid much above what they advertised.

In theory, this is a good idea but I dont want my rates advetised even though I may not work at very low rates. Two, if I am a paying member, in principle, I want access to all possible features.

Why not?
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Accuracy and image May 30, 2002

Quote:

Giuliana

1. Accuracy: I set my rates in local currency, which over recent months has fluctuated by as much as 10% with respect to $US.

2. Image: I would be concerned that by not posting my rates in domestic currency I could be seen as distancing myself from the do... See more
Quote:

Giuliana

1. Accuracy: I set my rates in local currency, which over recent months has fluctuated by as much as 10% with respect to $US.

2. Image: I would be concerned that by not posting my rates in domestic currency I could be seen as distancing myself from the domestic translation market, which currently represents 99% of my work.

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates: are they required or optional?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »