Transcription AND Translation- 15$/hour!!!!
Thread poster: Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:08
French to German
+ ...
May 29, 2002

Now we are getting somewhere. A member of ProZ, SHendry, not only proposes a transcription, but a translation job as well.

A 15$ per hour for both, because I do not think you can translate directly when listing to the tape. I just bid for the job with the following message:

Dear Susanne,

If you are SHenry working art AAA, you should know that you propose two jobs here.

The first one is a tr
... See more
Now we are getting somewhere. A member of ProZ, SHendry, not only proposes a transcription, but a translation job as well.

A 15$ per hour for both, because I do not think you can translate directly when listing to the tape. I just bid for the job with the following message:

Dear Susanne,

If you are SHenry working art AAA, you should know that you propose two jobs here.

The first one is a transcription of a audio tape, if I understand well.

15 $ per hour would be an more or less acceptable rate for the States. But that is not a translator\'s job.

Then comes the translation. That should be at least 10 cents a word.

If you find someone accepting this job, you will get something totally botched up or, which is worse, exploit a translator who has to feed his family and cannot find work. And believe me, there are some higly qualified people out there, starving.

As a member of proZ, you should at least be able to offer decent rates.

Would you please think about it?

Thank you.

Maya

and here is the offer:

Translation of voice tapes

German>English

Bidders must live in: United States

Details

Interviews pertaining on the topic of European Food Safety and Swine Salmonella. These 1 hour interviews are available by e-mail in a .wav file format. Please respond to [email protected]. No fancy formatting required. Need them back as word files.

Bidder requirements

Only experienced translators please.

Pricing:

15.00 USD per hour

What about a pledge for all proZ members to offer jobs at decent rates???

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-29 14:11 ]
Collapse

Filippo Rosati
Filippo Rosati  Identity Verified
Italian
+ ...
Einverstanden! May 29, 2002

I never proposed a job on ProZ, but if I\'m looking at how many jobs I could afford to make via ProZ (the beautiful number of 0, and the reason is actually to be found in my \"orrendous rates\"), I think it would be better for anyone of us...

Alexandra Potts
Alexandra Potts
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
pledges May 29, 2002

Quote:

What about a pledge for all proZ members to offer jobs at decent rates???

Or even better: a pledge for all ProZ members to ONLY ACCEPT jobs at decent rates! then job-posters would really get the message.

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is what the site has turned into: May 29, 2002

A place to find \"cheap\" translators.

I gave up bidding a long time ago.

Note: Have you seen two or three postings addressed exclusively to translators residing in Argentina? What are these outrourcers looking for? English into Spanish translations or *cheap* english into spanish translations, -considering the terrible difficulties Argentina is going through?

Maya Jurt
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bid for $ 0.20, don't give up! May 29, 2002

Bertha, please, go back to bidding, when ever you have time. Be proud of your skills. Bid for $0.20 a word. And give them I piece of your mind. It is no use if I am the only one doing this. We all should do it. It takes two minutes to bid!

Courage

Maya

And yes, I get mad when I see agencies asking for Argentinian translators. Not because I want the job, or they don\'t deserve it. But because I know exactly why they do it.

Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
German to English
I need to take issue with one thing Maya: May 31, 2002

the part of your answer where you tell the outsourcer that $15/hour is acceptable and then say that translators need to stick to their rates. You are contradicting yourself here, unless I have misunderstood something.

$15/hour for freelance work is ridiculous. We have to pay at least 1/3 in taxes and our own insurance and other benefits. We also pay the employer and employee portion of the social security and a self-employment tax. You could go work at McDonald\'s and do
... See more
the part of your answer where you tell the outsourcer that $15/hour is acceptable and then say that translators need to stick to their rates. You are contradicting yourself here, unless I have misunderstood something.

$15/hour for freelance work is ridiculous. We have to pay at least 1/3 in taxes and our own insurance and other benefits. We also pay the employer and employee portion of the social security and a self-employment tax. You could go work at McDonald\'s and do almost as well--better if you are getting benefits. Come on people! How are you living on these rates?
[addsig]
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
A one -hour tape, takes how long? Jun 1, 2002

Approximately how long does it take to transcribe a one- hour tape? Do you know?

I remember that, some time ago, somebody offered $ 200.00 for the transcription of a one hour tape.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
Italian to English
+ ...
It would take me about twice as along... Jun 1, 2002

I don\'t accept transcription jobs anymore - I really don\'t care for that type of work, but when I did it would take about twice as long as the recorded material. so for an hour tape it would take about two hours to transcribe. Granted, that was not always the case, but that\'s what I would base my rates on. I\'d charge bt the hour.

R.

=

Quote:

On 2002-06-01 16:29, Bertha wrote:

Approxi... See more
I don\'t accept transcription jobs anymore - I really don\'t care for that type of work, but when I did it would take about twice as long as the recorded material. so for an hour tape it would take about two hours to transcribe. Granted, that was not always the case, but that\'s what I would base my rates on. I\'d charge bt the hour.

R.

=

Quote:

On 2002-06-01 16:29, Bertha wrote:

Approximately how long does it take to transcribe a one- hour tape? Do you know?

I remember that, some time ago, somebody offered $ 200.00 for the transcription of a one hour tape.

Collapse

Maya Jurt
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tanscription and translatrion Jun 2, 2002

Sonya, sorry,

I think I owe you an explanation. Transcription is an office job. It is NOT for translators. A tape of one hour takes approximately 5 to 7 hours to decribe, if you have not been present at the meeting or interview or whatever and if you do not know the subject. So, they wanted 15$ per hour for the transcripzt AND the translation. Well, the job has disappeared, I think.

something that ressembles translation of a transcript is Sub-Titling. I have been offered 300
... See more
Sonya, sorry,

I think I owe you an explanation. Transcription is an office job. It is NOT for translators. A tape of one hour takes approximately 5 to 7 hours to decribe, if you have not been present at the meeting or interview or whatever and if you do not know the subject. So, they wanted 15$ per hour for the transcripzt AND the translation. Well, the job has disappeared, I think.

something that ressembles translation of a transcript is Sub-Titling. I have been offered 300 $ per hour of video or film. I ask for 450 and that\'s cheap . It takes you 8-10 hours to do it, Bertha, but it is fun. And Rick: I can\'t believe you can do one hour of tape in two hours. I have transcribed my own interviews for years - it took me much longer, and I knew what I and my interviewee were talking about.

Collapse

Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
German to English
Thanks for the clarification Jun 3, 2002

I guess $15/hour is ok for an office worker who is an employee with benefits--depending on where you live. I don\'t think that was the case here though but like you said the job has disappeared.

I have never done transcription, so I guess that was part of my shock with the rates.

Elene P.
Elene P.  Identity Verified
Georgia
Member (2007)
English to Georgian
+ ...
how much do you charge for transcription AND translation of 1 hour tape or 1 minute Apr 7, 2009

thanks!!!!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Thank you!" Apr 7, 2009

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh wrote:
This is what the site has turned into:

I don't agree with this bold statement. Yes, some translators succumb to ridiculously low rates, but there are many of us who stick to, defend, and promote decent rates... and we are here in Proz too!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Subtle nuance... Apr 7, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh wrote:
This is what the site has turned into:

I don't agree with this bold statement. Yes, some translators succumb to ridiculously low rates, but there are many of us who stick to, defend, and promote decent rates... and we are here in Proz too!

I would have written A place to look for "cheap" translators, which is basically true for all similar sites, the reasons thereof being multiple and complex and certainly not only linked to Internet-based business transactions... It is up to each and every translator not to become the one such outsourcers are looking for!

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-04-07 08:32 GMT]

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:08
English to Portuguese
From the grave Apr 7, 2009

7 year old topic.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
speed Apr 7, 2009

Maya Jurt wrote:

Rick: I can't believe you can do one hour of tape in two hours. I have transcribed my own interviews for years - it took me much longer, and I knew what I and my interviewee were talking about.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible. Some people can type 100+ words per minute as opposed to the 20-40 of hunt-and-peck typists, and some people can work very efficiently. In a repetitive text you can use autocomplete to cut down on the typing.
I haven't done any transcribing but two hours seems about right for a properly fast typist if the text is clearly audible.

I'm sure some people can't believe it's possible to translate 6-8000 characters in an hour, proofread, in excellent quality, without any TM hits... But it is.

Jacqueline Comte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription AND Translation- 15$/hour!!!!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »