Mobile menu

Pricing "written interpretation"
Thread poster: Noelie Chaniac Creaghe

Noelie Chaniac Creaghe  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to French
+ ...
Mar 18, 2005

I have been asked to submit a quote for a very unusual type of interpreting, at least unsual for me.

They need me to translate an internet "chat" between different companies of the same group. The questions/answers asked in French I have to translate in English, and vice versa in 'real time'.

I have been asked to give a price for an hour of work but I am pretty puzzled when it comes to deciding how much I should charge.

Same price as simultaneous interpreting? Less?

I would greatly appreciate the help of anyone who might have done something like this in the past or who has an idea on the matter...

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:07
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Same Mar 18, 2005

After all, you'll find that a text conversation is normally a lot harder to understand for an outsider than a verbal one (only 10% of our communication is actually words) so it's likely to be just as demanding as interpretation.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so I charge interpretation rate then. Mar 18, 2005

Sounds likely. You have to work in two windows (one into French one into English) at a time and this is not easy either.
I guess I could devide my daily interpretation rate by the average number of hours worked in a day and give this as a fee?

What do you think?

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 12:07
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Per hour rate Mar 18, 2005

Hi Noelie!

I've done "simultaneous translation" before in the back office at general meetings. The questions posed by the public in German to the board members had to be written down and translated into English so that the board members could answer them.

You need to be able to think as fast as an interpreter and type as fast as a translator!

I would certainly charge an interpreting rate for this type of work.

HTH

Alison

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
per hour rate... Mar 18, 2005

Thank you Alison.

So would you charge a set fee or a rate per hour? I am not sure I understood. They DID specify to give a quote per hour.

What if I divide my usual interpreting rate by 6 (6 hours in a normal interpreting day) and charge them that?

Would that be acceptable.

What do you think?

They have offered me another potential translating task and I would not like to loose them as a clients (or be underpayed....)

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Do you work as an interpreter or a translator? Mar 18, 2005

Hi Noelie!

If you work as an interpreter and accept this job, then you cannot take on another interpeting assignment on that day (even if this job just takes you one hour). In that case I'd charge them for a full day. There are some pretty hefty arguments in the interpreters' community as to whether interpreters should charge for whole/half days or even by the hour, but that's another story....

However if you work as a translator the picture looks a little different. Even if this job just takes 1 hour you'll be at home doing it and could do some other translating that day. So in that case I'd charge per hour worked.

For the AGMs I charge for a whole day, and ask for a retainer if the job gets cancelled (for keeping that date free in my diary).

Does that help you any?

Alison

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interpreter Mar 18, 2005

I am sorry I think I did not make myself understood.

First things first. I mostly work as an interpreter, however, I do take on translating assignments when my workload allows it.

There are two separate matters here:
-The reason I opened this forum is that I was not sure how to set a fee for written interpreting via the net, as I have never done such a task before.

-Then, I added that I would like to make sure the quote is fair for both party as they have also offered me to work on some translations and I would quite like to set a lasting collaboration with them (which will not take place if my prices are not right).

The translations and the written interpreting would not take place on the same day. They just happen to be late on a task and need a hand for the translation to be finished on time (next week). The interpreting would take place the week after next.

You also have to know that they have asked me to quote a price per hour. Each chatting session would last 2 hours and they have paid interpreters /hour in the past.

So how much should I charge per hour is the question.

I hope this is clearer, sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you so much for trying to untangle this matter with me.

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
50 EURO / hour Mar 18, 2005

If I understand you correctly, you're looking for a decent hourly wage. Well there you go.

Obviously there a better rates to be had (and worse), but it sounds like your going to have to at least provide them with a quote of some kind. Dividing your daily rate by some amount (6) is also possible, but if the result turns out to be like 10 EURO, you have to ask yourself if that is enough for you.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes... Mar 18, 2005

well if I divide a daily simultaneous fee by six the results is around 80 euros and I thought that might be excessive...

This is what I will probably offer in the end while mentionning that I am ready to discuss prices further...

Thanks for the advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing "written interpretation"

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs