Thread poster: Gina W
Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 23:04
Member (2003)
French to English
Mar 18, 2005

OK, I did do a Proz.Com Forums search on “repeat words”, and came up with some results but as far as I can tell, nothing relating directly to my question, so I’m going to post it and if I am mistaken and if in fact this question has been posted and discussed before, please just kindly post the link, thanks.

I had a lengthy file to translate and about half of the words (over 5,000 out of 10,078) are repeat words. I am thinking that since this is a good client that I will give
... See more
OK, I did do a Proz.Com Forums search on “repeat words”, and came up with some results but as far as I can tell, nothing relating directly to my question, so I’m going to post it and if I am mistaken and if in fact this question has been posted and discussed before, please just kindly post the link, thanks.

I had a lengthy file to translate and about half of the words (over 5,000 out of 10,078) are repeat words. I am thinking that since this is a good client that I will give them a different rate on repeat words. My question is, how would I determine that rate? How do any of you determine rates for repeat words? I am aware that many translators do not feel any discount should be given for repeat words, but I also think that some feel that in some cases, it is acceptable to give such a discount. I would like to hear from those who do, how they come up with the discounted rate. Thanks.
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 05:04
English to French
+ ...
The question Mar 18, 2005

The question is "why would you give a discount if the client didn't ask for it?". It is just less money for you and you bring them an idea they didn't have.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Whatever you want Mar 18, 2005

It's your work, your money, your client: do whatever you want. Do it for free if you want. Who's to stop you?

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Repeat words, or segments? Mar 18, 2005

I never heard of a discount on repeat words, only on repeat segments and 100% matches (when using a CAT software). One way to apply the discount is to charge your proofreading rate - usually 30% of the translation rate.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
DON'T DO IT! Mar 18, 2005

... or at least, I wouldn't do it. If your client is willing to pay, be happy. Like my mother always said, "don't fix it if it ain't broke" (okay, so the grammer is a little off, but I'm sure you get it).

Either way, I see absolutely no necessity for such a discount. If your client would've wanted to save money, those repeat words could have been removed beforehand, but obviously they weren't, so...

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Set price to reflect your effort and time Mar 18, 2005

If the repeated words reduce the time it takes you to complete the job, you may consider discounting the price in an amount that reflects that reduction.

If it is not possible to estimate the time reduction (if any) from looking at the text, then you could translate a small representative sample and extend the factor to the whole text. If you do this, make sure to examine the whole text to make sure your sample is genuinely typical of the entire file.

[Edited
... See more
If the repeated words reduce the time it takes you to complete the job, you may consider discounting the price in an amount that reflects that reduction.

If it is not possible to estimate the time reduction (if any) from looking at the text, then you could translate a small representative sample and extend the factor to the whole text. If you do this, make sure to examine the whole text to make sure your sample is genuinely typical of the entire file.

[Edited at 2005-03-18 17:01]
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Mar 18, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

It's your work, your money, your client: do whatever you want. Do it for free if you want. Who's to stop you?

Yes, that is why I asked for others who agree with this to respond. I wasn't asking permission to do this, just suggestions on how to bill. I was thinking of charging my proofreading rate for those, since they were really just the same exact phrases repeated quite a few times.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
No, that is not my question Mar 18, 2005

lien wrote:

The question is "why would you give a discount if the client didn't ask for it?". It is just less money for you and you bring them an idea they didn't have.

I realize already, and I stated as such, that some translators are of the opinion that this should never be done. I didn't ask for those opinions to be posted. I asked for suggestions on what to charge from translators who have done this before for good clients. Thanks for your response anyway.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Repeat segments Mar 18, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I never heard of a discount on repeat words, only on repeat segments and 100% matches (when using a CAT software). One way to apply the discount is to charge your proofreading rate - usually 30% of the translation rate.

Thank you! That is what I was thinking of charging, my proofreading rate. These phrases/segments, are 100% matches, and all I did was copy and paste in other parts of the document. While sure, that should be compensated, I'm not sure I would want to insist that they be compensated at the same rate. JMO, in this instance.

Thank you again.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't ask for a response like 'Don't do it' Mar 18, 2005

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

... or at least, I wouldn't do it. If your client is willing to pay, be happy. Like my mother always said, "don't fix it if it ain't broke" (okay, so the grammer is a little off, but I'm sure you get it).

Either way, I see absolutely no necessity for such a discount. If your client would've wanted to save money, those repeat words could have been removed beforehand, but obviously they weren't, so...

I will reiterate, even though I thought I'd made myself clear that I am NOT looking for approval from other translators in order to do this, and/or opinions against this from other translators. What I specifically asked for is that other translators who have done this before, what would you suggest as a calculation method if I should CHOOSE to do this. Thank you for your post anyway, but it does not in any way respond to my original post.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Another good suggestion Mar 18, 2005

GoodWords wrote:

[Edited at 2005-03-18 17:01]

Yes, see that is the thing - they were 100% matches repeated quite a few times, so literally all I had to do was copy and paste, once I'd translated a passage once. So it took so little time. Of course, yes it took a few seconds per entry to make sure they were going in the right place in the document, etc, but OTOH, I just can't see in this case charging this very good client the same rate as if I had done repeat research on these same exact passages.

I really appreciate your response, it helps a lot. I was thinking of using my proofreading rate, and someone else here suggested it, and I may still do that, since the time spent was so minimal, but your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.

Derek Gill Franßen
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I wasn't paying enough attention... Mar 18, 2005

gad wrote:

I will reiterate, even though I thought I'd made myself clear that I am NOT looking for approval from other translators in order to do this, and/or opinions against this from other translators. What I specifically asked for is that other translators who have done this before, what would you suggest as a calculation method if I should CHOOSE to do this. Thank you for your post anyway, but it does not in any way respond to my original post.

Sorry about that! I obviously didn't register that last bit in your posting.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
No problem Mar 18, 2005

Thanks, Derek!

Derek Gill Franßen
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Rebate Mar 18, 2005

How about setting up your bill with a type of rebate? You could list the 'real' price and then subtract an amount for repetitions. I wouldn't disclose my calculations in this regard (or the client will start expecting it, or even demand adjusting the price structure) - I would just take some arbitrary amount.

If the translation were to cost 1000, then you could subtract 100, leaving the client to pay 900 (but the 1000 will appear on the invoice, so that the client knows how much it
... See more
How about setting up your bill with a type of rebate? You could list the 'real' price and then subtract an amount for repetitions. I wouldn't disclose my calculations in this regard (or the client will start expecting it, or even demand adjusting the price structure) - I would just take some arbitrary amount.

If the translation were to cost 1000, then you could subtract 100, leaving the client to pay 900 (but the 1000 will appear on the invoice, so that the client knows how much it should/would have cost).

[Edited at 2005-03-18 18:32]
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting idea Mar 18, 2005

If the translation were to cost 1000, then you could subtract 100, leaving the client to pay 900 (but the 1000 will appear on the invoice, so that the client knows how much it should/would have cost).

[Edited at 2005-03-18 18:32]

Hmm, I like that. That way it would make the point of listing it as a discount/rebate, so, like you say, they wouldn't necessarily expect it, they'd know it was a unique instance.

Thanks!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repeat words

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »