Mobile menu

Rates for an on site authoring/translation job.
Thread poster: Alexander Chisholm

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:33
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2005

I have recently given rates to an agency for technical authoring and translation (I gave them hourly rates as that's how I charge for authoring - as opposed to translation rates which are normally per page/word).

Th client has now said that they want me to work on site for the client. This will involve travel and lodging, bot of which they will pay no problem.

My problem is how to charge for the work. Should I simply charge them my hourly rate, applied to an estimated 8 or 10 hours per day? Or should I charge a daily rate to cover all the days I am away from home (and hence not in a position to accept other jobs etc.)?

Perhaps there are some parallels to be drawn with interpeting, which I have done in the past, but always in the city I live in and so, much easier to charge for.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be most welcome.

If it helps, I live in southern Italy, and the placement is in Northern Italy.

Best regards.

Direct link Reply with quote
United States
Local time: 13:33
English to Russian
+ ...
My experience Mar 19, 2005

It's been a long time since I worked in-house but the mechanism still works for the in-house projects in the U.S. private sector. Also, it was in the same town where I live.

The pay was estimated as a 40-hour week at my regular hourly rate, and time-and-a-half for any overtime. in 1992 it was even double for weekends and holidays but the supply of translators was much smaller. No more doubles, as far as I know. I submitted timesheets. I believe it's simple, fair and square. Nothing to agrue about, no upsetting instances when the client makes you work "just a little bit" longer hours now and then and you feel sort of obligated and responsible since you are so heavily involved. Less "moral problems" make it so much easier on everyone, and business relations remain just beautiful.

Good luck and all my love to Italy.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for an on site authoring/translation job.

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs