https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/30589-maybe_we_should_draw_an_unofficial_rate_calculation_standard.html

Maybe we should draw an unofficial rate calculation standard?
Thread poster: Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:53
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 19, 2005

I'm sure everyone knows the situation well: your client asks for quote, you give one, then the invoice time approaches, or the PO comes when you're half-done, and it turns out that the client was thinking that spaces don't count. And you thought they do, and paragraph marks too. Of course, nobody is trying to rip anyone off, it is just a misundestanding, but now the argument goes on and on...

Moreover, many questions asked on this board concern rates, counts and related subjects...
... See more
I'm sure everyone knows the situation well: your client asks for quote, you give one, then the invoice time approaches, or the PO comes when you're half-done, and it turns out that the client was thinking that spaces don't count. And you thought they do, and paragraph marks too. Of course, nobody is trying to rip anyone off, it is just a misundestanding, but now the argument goes on and on...

Moreover, many questions asked on this board concern rates, counts and related subjects...

Therefore I thought it might be nice to draw up a standard, a document which would enumerate every possible option and more, so that you can point to the link and say - "my quote is this and that, according to the Unofficial Rate Standard no.1". Or the agency might specify the standard in their offer.

The rates might be divided into groups, e.g. translation into Word, PowerPoint etc., then Trados, ttx and other TM documents, DTP programs etc. Or there might be percentage mark-ups for delivering TM files, advanced editing, and other options.

I imagine the standards might be first drafted and then voted by ProZ members. Of course, every solution will have supporters and opponents, but the latter might simply disregard the standard, or make up their own.

Keep in mind that the purpose of the standard would not be "squeeze out more money from the customer", but rather simply create a common ground for negotiations. After all, it is up to the translator to declare how much to charge for a particular job.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Maybe we should draw an unofficial rate calculation standard? Mar 20, 2005

We discussed this last month, in fact. See:

http://www.proz.com/topic/29509

Marc

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Meet client halfway Mar 21, 2005

Last time I had a misunderstanding with a client I simply proposed to take the midpoint between my number and his. I also mentioned that the positive side is that we have clarified a billing point for future invoices.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maybe we should draw an unofficial rate calculation standard?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »