Thread poster: PRAKAASH

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:42
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 21, 2005

Dear Fellow Translators,
Earlier, when I started doing freelance translations, I found very genuine outsourcers and agencies contacting me via proz. But nowadays, I can recieve emails from suspected clients and outsourcers from foreign countries like that of Gulf, Europe etc. In earlier days, I got only genuine emails for jobs whether from within India or say from Europe or America. But now fakes and frauds have got an approach to proz site. They send us the jobs, do all the necessary formalities on internet and then after recieving job, don't even reply to your email.
I got lots of such kinds of responses nowadays. I'm afraid to say 'yes' to strangers now because they consume lot of time and money of the translators and then goes back to unknown world. Especially from outside the boundaries of your original country.
Is there anything or anyone in Proz besides Blue Board Entries, who can keep an eye on such fraud emails?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-21 11:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to German
+ ...
One of the reasons why the Blue Board exists Mar 21, 2005

Hi Prakaash,
What you're describing is the flip side of being open to communication: as you're probably aware, you can block the e-mail function for your profile. Just be aware that in that case, legitimate customers will no longer be able to contact you either.

Is there anything or anyone in Proz besides Blue Board Entries, who can keep an eye on such fraud emails?

That's precisely a major reason for the existence of the Blue Board, the basis for the Termination Policy, and the motivation for the work of a dedicated team of Jobs/BB moderators.

As an independent entrepreneur, however, the ultimate decision which risk to take (and more importantly, which ones to avoid) is yours.

Best regards,

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to Polish
+ ...
Perhaps the only way to tell without a Blue Board Mar 21, 2005

Moisten your finger and put it out to determine where the wind blows from. Face that direction. If you smell the rat, that's it.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
For me it was quite the opposite Mar 21, 2005

Hello Prakaash

It's funny, because I have the feeling that for me it was the opposite.
When I started in ProZ (and I was a beginner in translation) I attracted many spontaneous requests, many of them contacted me directly via my profile. These people were looking for inexperienced translators who would accept a job without any guarantee. Fortunately I always asked my friends before doing anything and the seldom cases I was not payed for were with an other kind of clients (and with all due guarantees).
My best asset is my suspiciousness, I ask myself "why do they chose me".

I wouldn't make a generality of your statement, and I would systematically check the Blue Board.

Russian to German
+ ...
Always ask potential clients for company details..... Mar 21, 2005

Hello Prakaash,

Some ideas:
- Always ask potential clients for their company details (addresses, telephone number,...) and check them
- have a look at the BlueBoard
- become a member of international payment practices lists and always ask your fellow translators if anyone has worked for them before and what their experience is
- try to get a signed PO for the first assignment
- try to get paid a partial amount in advance for the first assignment if you don't know the client

Just some ideas....hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to detect potential non-payers contacting you

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs