Thread poster: Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:59
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2005

Hi,
I'm submitting a quote for translating a book, which is about 150,000 words or approx. 600 cartelle.
I'm wondering how much of a discount to offer as I've never had to quote for > 20 cartelle before (I give 10% on jobs over 20 cartelle).
As this would represent about, oh, 2-3 months of steady work, I'm wondering what to quote for this job. What's the norm? 20%? 40%? I simply don't know.
Colm

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Why a discount? Mar 29, 2005

Hi Ryan,

If your client is a publisher, more than a matter of discount it'll be a matter of going publishing rates, which are usually way lower than for technical translations (less than half, even around 30-40% of tech rate in my experience).

Take a look at tariffometro.it and biblit.it ("Sondaggio tariffe" and the maling list on yahoo.it).

Best luck, HTH

I assume your client is in Italy, but may be very wrong.

PS I just noticed
... See more
Hi Ryan,

If your client is a publisher, more than a matter of discount it'll be a matter of going publishing rates, which are usually way lower than for technical translations (less than half, even around 30-40% of tech rate in my experience).

Take a look at tariffometro.it and biblit.it ("Sondaggio tariffe" and the maling list on yahoo.it).

Best luck, HTH

I assume your client is in Italy, but may be very wrong.

PS I just noticed your name is Colm, not Ryan My apologies

[Edited at 2005-03-29 15:38]
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:59
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Why the discount - 2 Mar 29, 2005

Ditto on Muja's comment. Why give a discount if nobody asked for one?
As to your calculations, 600 cartelle would be correct for that number of words for a REGULAR translation. For the publishing business, it's different and by my calculations it's *only* 500 cartelle. In Italy a normal cartella is 1500 keystrokes, spaces included, but in the publishing industry the cartella can be anywhere from 1800 to 2000 keystrokes. In your case, I calculated based on 1800. As you can see, that alread
... See more
Ditto on Muja's comment. Why give a discount if nobody asked for one?
As to your calculations, 600 cartelle would be correct for that number of words for a REGULAR translation. For the publishing business, it's different and by my calculations it's *only* 500 cartelle. In Italy a normal cartella is 1500 keystrokes, spaces included, but in the publishing industry the cartella can be anywhere from 1800 to 2000 keystrokes. In your case, I calculated based on 1800. As you can see, that already works a discount in right there.
Obviously, it's up to you to decide whether you want to give your customers a discount or not. If you're sitting there twiddling your thumbs, well, working cheap may seem more attractive than not working at all. But you need to bear in mind that you'll be tied up with that job for 3 months and can't take on other jobs. You might be better off taking on 25 20-cartella jobs at no discount than this 500-cartella job with a hefty one.
Catherine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pricing scheme for 600+ cartelle?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »