Mobile menu

How much should I charge for editing
Thread poster: Claudia Papurello
Claudia Papurello
Local time: 10:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 6, 2005

Hi! I've been offered a job as a corrector and editor. They offered me 7.5USD per 1000 word. I'm not sure if this is ok. Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:45
Member (2002)
English to German
Don't do it Apr 6, 2005

That's a ridiculous and insulting offer. Don't forget that you assume the whole responsibility for the end-result and you don't want to do it for just a few cents.
If I were you I would not negotiate with this agency or company at all but if you still want to, try to get a decent hourly rate because you never know how much time you will have to spend.

Good luck

Andy

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too low! Apr 6, 2005

Hi:
That comes up to about 0.007 per word! Entirely too low. I think the lowest going rate is about US$ 0.02 per target word (US$ 20 per 1000 words).

I would also check the quality of the translation, just in case. I didn't heed my own advice and accepted an editing job (it paid considerably more), but had to almost redo the complete translation.

Regards,

Ricardo

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
charge by the hour Apr 6, 2005

The range of difficulty in editing is vast, you cannot believe the amount of time required to correct an atrocious translation.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
1000 words per hour on average Apr 6, 2005

If the quality is OK, you can correct/edit 1000 words per hour on average. Have a look at the material first and then decide if you still want to do it. The quoted rate is ridiculous. You might as well go and clean houses for that. Less responsibility too!

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
Local time: 10:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
De acuerdo Apr 7, 2005

Agree, agree. And even 0,02 is low. We all should take care of aur rates, shouldn`t we?
Saludos.

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

Hi:
That comes up to about 0.007 per word! Entirely too low. I think the lowest going rate is about US$ 0.02 per target word (US$ 20 per 1000 words).

I would also check the quality of the translation, just in case. I didn't heed my own advice and accepted an editing job (it paid considerably more), but had to almost redo the complete translation.

Regards,

Ricardo

Patricia Torres  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 09:45
English to Spanish
What is a decent hourly rate? It depends... Apr 20, 2005

...on your target market. Please consider that and search at Proz' forums or repost your question (indicating where the agency offering the job is based).

Patricia

Andy Lemminger wrote:

If I were you I would not negotiate with this agency or company at all but if you still want to, try to get a decent hourly rate because you never know how much time you will have to spend.

Good luck

Andy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge for editing

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs