https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/31250-italy%3A_translation_fees_per_sentence.html

Italy: translation fees per sentence
Thread poster: cristianac (X)
cristianac (X)
cristianac (X)
Local time: 02:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2005

Hi all,
I am a little bit out of practice with fees at the moment and the Association for Translators and Interpreters AITI do not show them anymore. So that's why I need some suggestions: Yesterday I went for an interview in a Translation Agency where they were looking for a translator (IT-ENG-FR.) with VAT working on-site (at the agency office) for 0,35 euro per sentence (55 strokes including spaces) for technical texts...
It seems really badly-paid but the advantage should be that
... See more
Hi all,
I am a little bit out of practice with fees at the moment and the Association for Translators and Interpreters AITI do not show them anymore. So that's why I need some suggestions: Yesterday I went for an interview in a Translation Agency where they were looking for a translator (IT-ENG-FR.) with VAT working on-site (at the agency office) for 0,35 euro per sentence (55 strokes including spaces) for technical texts...
It seems really badly-paid but the advantage should be that the workload is always guaranteed.
Any suggestions?
thanks a lot
Cris
Collapse

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Too low if not subsidised Apr 12, 2005

On a rough calculation it sounds like around €0.0415 per word which is certainly below the average range for freelance professional quality, but also credible for knock-em out work that agencies (and/or customers) who skimp on quality dish out.
However, if this is VAT included and work on site is mandatory then forget it, unless you live in subsidised housing (i.e. live at home with parents or similar) and have subsidised transportation, otherwise you may not have enough income left
... See more
On a rough calculation it sounds like around €0.0415 per word which is certainly below the average range for freelance professional quality, but also credible for knock-em out work that agencies (and/or customers) who skimp on quality dish out.
However, if this is VAT included and work on site is mandatory then forget it, unless you live in subsidised housing (i.e. live at home with parents or similar) and have subsidised transportation, otherwise you may not have enough income left to buy food, especially if you live in high-cost northern Italy.

If you have no or limited experience, and live in subsidised conditions, it may be worthwhile as a start-up experience, otherwise forget it.

Good luck.
Collapse

cristianac (X)
cristianac (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 12, 2005

Thanks for your time...you've been very eloquent and clear!

However, if this is VAT included and work on site is mandatory then forget it, unless you live in subsidised housing (i.e. live at home with parents or similar) and
... See more
Thanks for your time...you've been very eloquent and clear!

However, if this is VAT included and work on site is mandatory then forget it, unless you live in subsidised housing (i.e. live at home with parents or similar) and have subsidised transportation, otherwise you may not have enough income left to buy food, especially if you live in high-cost northern Italy.

If you have no or limited experience, and live in subsidised conditions, it may be worthwhile as a start-up experience, otherwise forget it.

Good luck. [/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italy: translation fees per sentence

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »