best way to receive payment from Korea? (Moderator: Topic extended to cover US Asia payments)
Thread poster: chicke11
chicke11
chicke11
Local time: 10:44
Korean to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2005

hey all,

i'm a freelance translator located in New York, USA. i recently received a translation project from a company located in South Korea. i don't think Paypal does currency conversion between the Korean won and the US dollar. any suggestions on how i should obtain payment?

thanks!
christine

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-05-01 22:53]

Joseph Samir
Joseph Samir
Egypt
Local time: 16:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
MoneyGram Apr 30, 2005

Hi Christine ,

I once got paid from South Korea using it .. I think it's cheaper and sure faster than SWIFT .. Let your client visit this site : www.moneygram.com and locate a nearby agent ..

This system only deals in USD so whatever currency the client is going to pay from Korea , you will receive it in USD ..

Procedures are easy and simple :
1) The client pays the m
... See more
Hi Christine ,

I once got paid from South Korea using it .. I think it's cheaper and sure faster than SWIFT .. Let your client visit this site : www.moneygram.com and locate a nearby agent ..

This system only deals in USD so whatever currency the client is going to pay from Korea , you will receive it in USD ..

Procedures are easy and simple :
1) The client pays the money and transfer fees
2) Send you a reference number
3) You go to a nearby agent and collect the money using the reference number .. There is a commission on your side about 2% with a minimum of one dollar (and 2% for me).. You can check this too from a nearby agent ..

If you have other questions , don't hesitate ..

Sincerely ,
Joseph
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience from Taiwan: Cheques from US Bank Apr 30, 2005

chicke11 wrote:

hey all,

i'm a freelance translator located in New York, USA. i recently received a translation project from a company located in South Korea. i don't think Paypal does currency conversion between the Korean won and the US dollar. any suggestions on how i should obtain payment?

In case it helps, I used to have a customer in Taiwan (I lived in Spain then). They always paid me by sending me a cheque in US Dollars through the post. Actually the check was from an American bank,

Never had any problem, just that I had to pay a fee every time I cashed a cheque from them...

Daniel

Lin Yang
Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
got Hong Kong cheques in the US? May 1, 2005

Guess this is a right place to post my question.

I just signed an agreement with a Hong Kong agency. They will pay me in HK dollars by cheques drawn on HSBC. And I am living in the US.

Do you have similiar experience? I heard that it would take a long time and some fee to cash such cheques in American banks.

Any suggestions and comments is appreciated.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I find money gram very helpful Nov 13, 2005

There was this client in the US. He sent me money in US dollars through moneygram, whose agent in Chennai, India paid me in Indian Rupees. It just took 10 minutes. Client had communicated to me the tracking number via email, I went to the local agent. The agent has got secure access to moneygram and tracked my payment with the tracking number I gave him. I was asked to prove my identity, which I complied with using my PAN card provided by the Income Tax department. I had the option of taking che... See more
There was this client in the US. He sent me money in US dollars through moneygram, whose agent in Chennai, India paid me in Indian Rupees. It just took 10 minutes. Client had communicated to me the tracking number via email, I went to the local agent. The agent has got secure access to moneygram and tracked my payment with the tracking number I gave him. I was asked to prove my identity, which I complied with using my PAN card provided by the Income Tax department. I had the option of taking cheque or cash.

I am informed that there is 6% charge on the invoice amount, subject to a minimum charge of 15 dollars. This is for same day service. There is also economy transfer and the minimum charge is just 10 dollars, but then payment takes 2 to 3 days. Money transfer is limited to 899 dollars for the present.

The website indicated by an earlier poster in this forum gives valuable information.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

best way to receive payment from Korea? (Moderator: Topic extended to cover US Asia payments)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »