How to charge for making and translating a glossary from Spa into Eng?
Thread poster: Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 20:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 17, 2005

My client, an American publishing house, has asked me to make glossaries on different subjects, such as Finance, Insurance, etc, each including 1000 words.
Could anybody tell me how to quote for a project like this that would consist of:

-Choosing the right words in each field according to target market
-Translating them into Eng
-Providing definitions for some terms.
I thought about quoting translation per word, and the rest per hour, but I´d like to have
... See more
My client, an American publishing house, has asked me to make glossaries on different subjects, such as Finance, Insurance, etc, each including 1000 words.
Could anybody tell me how to quote for a project like this that would consist of:

-Choosing the right words in each field according to target market
-Translating them into Eng
-Providing definitions for some terms.
I thought about quoting translation per word, and the rest per hour, but I´d like to have an idea of the values for such a work.

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions!

regards,
Pat
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Definitely Time Apr 18, 2005

Charge it on a time basis, so much per hour, day, etc. the job would involve quite a bit of research and that would seem to be the only way to do it fairly. A "per word" basis would not do at all.

Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 20:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
glossary and Co. Apr 18, 2005

Hi, Henry

Thanks a lot for your quick answer, it confirms my idea that charging per hour would be the best way. The problem is to calculate the hours it´ll take to do each glossary, and in general companies don´t like this kind of quote. Anyway, I´ll try to figure it out this way, and give them an overall quote for the five books.

regards,
Pat

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for making and translating a glossary from Spa into Eng?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »