Mobile menu

Spanish to English: How much to bid & how to get paid?
Thread poster: Trudi Richards
Trudi Richards
Spanish to English
Apr 26, 2005

I'm just starting out as a freelance translator Spanish to English (although I've been translating as a volunteer for my organization for more than ten years) and am completely in the dark about two basic issues:

1. how much to bid
2. how to get paid

My fields are education, travel, literature, music, visual arts, personal growth.

Although I am based in California, I hope to work mostly via internet as I travel a good deal. I'd tremendously appreciate any information or practical advice on these fundamental questions!

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check the Getting Established forum Apr 26, 2005

The Getting Established forum has a lot of answers to your questions:

And you can also review some of the translators' pages to find out how much you can charge per word. I think the rate depends on the country where you live and on the client.

Good luck,

Parrot  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
As far as the Spanish - English community in is concerned Apr 26, 2005

as a Platinum member, you have free access to the graph of average rates entered by members (above, in the drop-down menu under "Jobs").

[Edited at 2005-04-26 21:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish to English: How much to bid & how to get paid?

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs