Mobile menu

Preparing a summary of a book: how to calculate rates?
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:14
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 27, 2005

I have been offered to prepare a summary of a book, some parts of which will then be selectively translated.

I know the number of pages and the subject. I have never done such summarization before, so not sure how to calculate the approximate amount of time it will require.

What should I take into account when quoting for this job and how can I calculate total time?

[Edited at 2005-04-27 12:16]

Direct link Reply with quote

Maurizio Spagnuolo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:14
English to Italian
By hour/working day Apr 27, 2005

Hello,

Did the same thing last year. I just calculated the hours (and working days) necessary to do the job. The topic was sociology (and pretty interesting, it was about diffusion of innovations) and I charged for all time needed to read, translate and summarize the book.

Depending on the subject you need time to read, understand and translate. Obviously summarization comes easier when you get a grasp of the subject.

Maurizio

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:14
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there any standard? Apr 28, 2005

Thank you, Maurizio.
I am also wondering if there is any standard like for example standard translation volume per day is about 10 pages?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preparing a summary of a book: how to calculate rates?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs