Thread poster: Svetlana Potton

Svetlana Potton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2005

Hello,

My name is Svetlana Potton. I am Russian interpreter from Alaska. I have been receiving e-mails regarding some interpreting opportunity. However, I have some uneasy feelings that it could be some fraud. This person stated in the first message that he will be coming with French speaking people from Africa. When I responded that I am Russian speaking interpreter, he replied that the group will be Russian. He said he will send me a cashier check, and then I would have to pay him his commission. That part made me wonder. He sounds too agreeable for all the terms and conditions. I would like to check if you have any information about this firm. His name is Martins Andy and his e-mail address is brainlinguaserviccesltd@fastermail.com

Sincerely,
Svetlana Potton
svetlana@russiantranslatingservices.com

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsarahl
English to French
+ ...
it's a scam Apr 28, 2005

Don't send him any money! His cashier check is a forgery. A lot of interpreters, including me, have received that kind of offer.

Sarah

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:00
French to English
Definitely fraudulent Apr 28, 2005

One of his compatriots wanted a Latin interpreter so his family could spend a day shopping in a rural part of New England.

If things go according to his plans, he will send you a certified check, then cancel, ask you to wire the money back after keeping part for your trouble. Then you find out the certified check is forged, but the bank still makes you repay the money you wired.

Bruce

Matt Baird
Germany
Local time: 15:00
German to English
I concur Apr 28, 2005

I concur completely with Bruce.

Several months ago I was contacted with a similar offer. Right away it was strange because (1) they wanted me for 5 days in Seattle (I live in Denver) and (2) I don't even offer interpreting services. I did a little research at that time to discover precisely what Bruce explained.

This scam is quite similar to another email scam in which the author claims to want to transfer millions of dollars to your bank account because he's trying to get it out of Nigeria (or wherever). From what I understand these con artists will also send you a certified check (for whatever reason) and ask you to repay part of it (for whatever reason). Banks in the US are required to honor a good portion of a check immediately. Thus, if you wire money to this person right after you deposit it, you will discover three days later that the check has bounced and you now owe your bank.

Best,
Matt

Eva-Maria King  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:00
German to English
Without question, it's a fraud Apr 28, 2005

I have received a number of these emails over the past 4 - 5 months. Each one has a little twist, but otherwise they are similar. The one that I received stated that he only spoke English and his wife and daughter only spoke German. That defies logic - I never heard from that email address again.

There is also a similar email that has been known to law enforcement for years, promising you millions as a reward, if he can send millions that he has hidden in Africa into your account. These are referred to as the Nigerian scams, although I have seen other countries mentioned as well.

I decided to do a search and found a website that was very helpful in regards to a list of internet fraud. The address is: http://www.fraudwatchinternational.com/main.shtml. Hope it can help you or anyone else with anything along this line in the future as well.

Best regards,
Eva

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Scam Apr 28, 2005

There have been a number of posts here on proz.com regarding this scam, for instance
http://www.proz.com/post/220476
http://www.proz.com/post/218908

Try searching the forums for the word "scam".

The ITI has also issued a warning:
http://www.iti.org.uk/pages/news/viewNews.asp?article=30

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
This scam is spreading to businesses other than translation... Apr 28, 2005

Someone I know who runs a small guest house in France received a "reservation" with a cashiers' check for way more than the amount of the reservation. Lo and behold, the "customers" contacted her several days before their expected arrival saying that they were "stuck" somewhere, had been robbed or something, and could she please wire them the difference so that they could continue their trip.

Of course she checked with her bank, who investigated the cashiers' check. It was fake! And guess what? The "guests" never showed up!

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Regards,

Sara

davidgreen
German to English
to help fight this type of fraud Apr 28, 2005

Use the "show full headers" option in your email program. Then forward this scammer's letter to abuse@fastermail.com adding to the subject line "INTERNET FRAUD". Fastermail will then cancel his email account. It's the most you can do short of having a look at www.419eater.com (funny stuff there).

Svetlana Potton  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 29, 2005

Dear colleagues,

Thank you so much for your input. He sent me another mail to wich I replied ¡§No, thanks.¡¨ I feel so much better now. ƒº

Svetlana Potton
svetlana@russiantranslatingservices.com

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
English to Tamil
+ ...
One interesting possibility Apr 29, 2005

What will happen, if you receive the check, deposit it in bank and then sit tight? Don't wire back the balance. The fraudster can do nothing. In fact these dishonest people are banking on an avarage person's inherent honesty.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not really... Apr 29, 2005

Hi Narasimhan,
What will happen, if you receive the check, deposit it in bank and then sit tight?

The cheque will bounce, and you'll be left with the banking fees...

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Fraud

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs