Bank check as an international payment tool?
Thread poster: Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:41
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 6, 2002

A few days ago I received a check in US funds from an Agency in Germany. I deposited the check without any problems, however a few days later it was returned. My branch investigated the matter and it turns out that there was no problem with funds covering the check.

They (headoffice, I guess) just did not accept the check and are telling me to ask for a money order instead.

The people in Germany are cooperating, I don\'t think I\'ll have trouble getting paid.

I wo
... See more
A few days ago I received a check in US funds from an Agency in Germany. I deposited the check without any problems, however a few days later it was returned. My branch investigated the matter and it turns out that there was no problem with funds covering the check.

They (headoffice, I guess) just did not accept the check and are telling me to ask for a money order instead.

The people in Germany are cooperating, I don\'t think I\'ll have trouble getting paid.

I would like to know if anybody else has experienced these kind of problems. Can you ever accept a check from overseas, what currency should it be in?

I would appreciate any advice! Thank you.
Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Post Bank Germany Jun 9, 2002

Tell you client you want to be paid through Post Bank Germany. It is cheaper for them and they can send you a PostCashInternational Money order. It won\'t cost you a cent.Canadian Postal Services deliver the money cash at your address.

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, now I remember! Jun 9, 2002

The moment I read your posting I remembered, this is called \"Postanweisung\", right?

It\'s been quite a few years since I lived in Germany!

Thank you for the advice, I\'ll definitely keep it in mind for future clients.

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
I live in the U.S.A.... Jun 11, 2002

...and I always get paid through cheques. Always.

Clients outside the USA have also paid me with bank cheques. I have received cheques in french francs, in euros, in sterling pounds and in canadian dollars. Never a problem. I always deposit the checks in my bank account here in the USA and checks may take between 5 -10 days to clear.

Good luck.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
I live in Belgium Jun 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-11 17:02, Bertha wrote:

Clients outside the USA have also paid me with bank cheques. I have received cheques in french francs, in euros, in sterling pounds and in canadian dollars. Never a problem. I always deposit the checks in my bank account here in the USA and checks may take between 5 -10 days to clear.

Good luck. ... See more
Quote:

Good luck.

and until recently I accepted all kinds of cheques from US clients, French clients, UK clients,...

Recently I dropped all that, because it takes far too long before cheques are cleared by the issuing bank.

Recently, I had to wait almost 7 (seven) weeks before payment actually was credited on my bank account.

4 banks were involved, a.o. one of the largest in the US.

They simply kept the cheque for almost 6 weeks.

Since the amount was rather substantial, I assume they wanted to play a bit with my money.

Afterwards I was charged almost 100 euro for \'communications\' because my bank had to get in touch with the issuing American bank...

I\'m now still waiting for a French cheque to be cleared.

Received it three weeks ago (and I already had to wait 80 days before the cheque actually arrived).

Too much hassle, if you ask me...

I now only accept payments by bank wire transfer.

If needed, payments can reach my bank account from e.g. California in 24 hours.

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
FR versus US banking Jun 12, 2002

Quote:

Clients outside the USA have also paid me with bank cheques. I have received cheques in French francs, in euros, in sterling pounds and in Canadian dollars. Never a problem. I always deposit the checks in my bank account here in the USA and checks may take between 5 -10 days to clear.

Good luck. ... See more
Quote:

Clients outside the USA have also paid me with bank cheques. I have received cheques in French francs, in euros, in sterling pounds and in Canadian dollars. Never a problem. I always deposit the checks in my bank account here in the USA and checks may take between 5 -10 days to clear.

Good luck.

In France it\'s a different story altogether. French banking procedures are slow and expensive. Crediting a foreign cheque - even from within the Euro zone - and from the UK and Switzerland (non-Euro), will take anything up to three weeks. Yes, three weeks. And I will be charged in excess of 50 euros for the privilege!

International interbank transfers take anything from a few days to a week, cost generally less than cheques but are still relatively expensive to clear.

So much for European harmonization!

In fact, it does depend a lot on your bank but the time limits posted here are an average resulting from my experience of 3 different banks over 12 years!

Nikki

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-12 15:36 ]Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
FR versus US banking Jun 12, 2002

Deleted double posting

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-12 15:37 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank check as an international payment tool?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »