Mobile menu

What is the proper procedure after completing a job?
Thread poster: Vanessa Rivera Rivier

Vanessa Rivera Rivier  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 01:15
Italian to English
+ ...
May 11, 2005

What is the proper procedure after completing a job? Do you wait for the agency to pay you? Or are you supposed to send them an invoice, and if so how long should I wait before I send it?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:15
Member (2002)
English to German
Right away and wait May 11, 2005

You send your invoice right away and hope that they pay in time

Good luck

Andy

xxxBrandis
Local time: 07:15
English to German
+ ...
invoicing is right May 11, 2005

Hi! After you supply the translation you have to invoice or the agency sends you explicit information "no invoicing necessary2 or the similar, which means you have to inform them of your account details. In any case invoicing is the right choice, because you normally charge per word rate / hours etc., also to keep clear overview of the situation. These days translators have to wait around 30 days, longer could mean trouble, so that the supplied translation can be proof-read, checked, edited etc., for 30 days long to receive the payment from the final client and you get paid, unless your PO states differently.
Rgds, Brandis

Andrei Albu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:15
English to Romanian
+ ...
Right away, but not necessarily always... May 11, 2005

If the client is a regular one that provides you with constant work, you may wish to issue them a monthly invoice instead of an instant one. And then, yes, you will have to wait, hopefully for not more than 30 days, to be paid.
Cheers,
Andrei

Vanessa Rivera Rivier  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 11, 2005

You guys are the best! Thank you!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Send the invoice right away May 11, 2005

Vanessa Rivera Rivier wrote:
What is the proper procedure after completing a job? Do you wait for the agency to pay you? Or are you supposed to send them an invoice, and if so how long should I wait before I send it?

As soon as you've completed the the job, send the invoice. Or, if you send all your invoices at a certain time of the month, send it then, but don't wait more than 30 days before sending the invoice. The general rule is that the sooner you send the invoice, the sooner the client can start thinking about paying you.

You can send the invoice along with the translation, or you can send it in a separate mail. For quick or rush jobs I sometimes don't have time to make up an invoice immediately, but always try to do it as quick as you can.

It is also good business practice to send the invoice promptly, because it shows the agency that you are an organised person and that you respect their time.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:15
Flemish to English
+ ...
After finishing the job. May 11, 2005

From the day the job is finished until the day you get payment, you give credit to the outsourcer. So, send the invoice rightaway.

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
You are granting credit. May 11, 2005

Williamson wrote:

you give credit to the outsourcer

This is a very important point. Your business is granting credit to another business. Is the other business creditworthy? Are you handling your finances (and marketing and pricing strategy and resources/assets and planning) like a well-run business?

Bruce

Chiara_M  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
What I do May 12, 2005

I usually send my invoice together with the delivered job. There are some agencies I regularly work with, asking for a resuming invoice at he end of the month (I take account of the jobs I do for them in a separate Excel file and then I send invoice at the end of the month).
As to payments, serious agencies always specify they pay within 30 or 60 days after delivery in their work order. When not specified, they're supposed to pay within 30 days.
Good luck, Chiara

Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
Definitely an invoice May 25, 2005

Hello all,
I definitely send an invoice, usually 1-3 days (depending on how busy I am) after delivering the files. All my clients have asked for one, plus, it just seems more professional and gives a clear statement of the payment due and date due. I usually ask for payment within 30 days and have (almost) always received it on time....

Let's hope it stays that way...
Heike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the proper procedure after completing a job?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs