Money transfers UK-France
Thread poster: MandyT
MandyT
MandyT  Identity Verified
English to German
May 12, 2005

Hi,

I regularly need to transfer money from my UK account into my French account. Looking for a cheaper method than usual bank transfers, I checked out Moneybookers. The first time I tested them it took them about 2 weeks to transfer the money. Now, a few months later, I wanted to give them another go, but needed to clarify a few things first. I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago, and still no answer.

Therefore, I'm not too keen on using their services again and am l
... See more
Hi,

I regularly need to transfer money from my UK account into my French account. Looking for a cheaper method than usual bank transfers, I checked out Moneybookers. The first time I tested them it took them about 2 weeks to transfer the money. Now, a few months later, I wanted to give them another go, but needed to clarify a few things first. I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago, and still no answer.

Therefore, I'm not too keen on using their services again and am looking for another service. Can anyone recommend something? I don't really like Paypal. Has anyone any experience with XEtrade (https://www.xe.com/fx/)??
Collapse

Sylvie Pelissier
Sylvie Pelissier  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:15
Member (2004)
English to French
Moneybookers May 12, 2005

Hi Mandy

It would be worthwhile to clarify things with Moneybookers, their fees are unbeatable !

Regards,
Sylvie

Christopher RH
Christopher RH
French to English
Banks and banks May 17, 2005

I have found rates can vary wildly between different banks, depending on how they transfer cash. Credit Commercial de France used to have a neat system with the Royal Bank of Scotland which allowed real-time transfers from the UK to France at very low rates.
For slower payments, the CIC used to charge much less than BNP for receiving transfers - again from the RBS. On the other hand, a recent BNP charges-forwarded transfer to the Bank of Scotland was essentially free (and at a good exchang
... See more
I have found rates can vary wildly between different banks, depending on how they transfer cash. Credit Commercial de France used to have a neat system with the Royal Bank of Scotland which allowed real-time transfers from the UK to France at very low rates.
For slower payments, the CIC used to charge much less than BNP for receiving transfers - again from the RBS. On the other hand, a recent BNP charges-forwarded transfer to the Bank of Scotland was essentially free (and at a good exchange rate) on arrival, but the BNP still added a small charge at the French end!

I can only suggest shopping around. The only trouble is that most branches don't know what charges apply.

If there is one common factor in my experience, it is that the BNP is not the ideal partner for occasional transfers.
Collapse

Josephine79
Josephine79
French to English
Xe-trade May 19, 2005

MandyT wrote:

Hi,

I regularly need to transfer money from my UK account into my French account.
Has anyone any experience with XEtrade (https://www.xe.com/fx/)??[/quote]

Hi Mandy,
I think it really depends just how much money you want to shift at a time: I have just started using Xe-trade and once I'd jumped through the identity verification hoops and got the account set up I found they were fast and cheap and very helpful. On a 8000GBP transfer, including fees, I saved over 200GBP compared with the rate my UK bank was offering. However every time you transfer money it is going to cost 20GBP for your UK bank to send the money to Xe-trade and then the (much smaller) percentage Xe-trade charge. (8.19 GBP on my 8000GBP).
Hope this helps,
Jo

[Edited at 2005-05-20 07:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Money transfers UK-France

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »